is it just me, or are there a lot of newcomers coming here

Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it just me, or are there a lot of newcomers coming here

It seems like every time I log on, most of the threads are from newcomers who are just starting their journey of recovery. I admit that I'm not posting as much and when I do get on I just skim through the thread titles. But it still seems like I'm not seeing near as many names that were familiar to me when i first joined 1 1/2 years ago.

Am I wrong or am I right?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm here, and have been for quite a while
I think we all take things at our own pace, and often the longer you've been here, the more you visit to read rather than post.
I learn so much through reading, and through following a newcomers path.
I need constant reminders lol
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep, reading without posting much is one factor

A lot of people seem to drop when they break their string of sober days. Sometimes they come on and say they don't feel right/worthy/welcome/whatever still being here after they slipped. I think that's the time you really need to be here.

I got sober in July '08. We were the first group to have a Class of <fill in your month>. Time2surrender was our thread starter and we had a list of around 50 people, most of which would post at least once a week. Many posted daily or multiples daily. Now there are less than 10 people posting there in a given week. Still a great place for us and visitors always welcome.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so greatful for each and every person who posts here, newcomer or not I get something out of every single post.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please don't get me wrong here. I think it is awesome that so many people are reaching out to a place like this when they find they are dealing with a loved one's problematic drinking/drugging. This is the right place to look for help.

I'm just wondering if there are a lot of new people or if it is just because i've been lurking more than posting.

If there are more newcomers here, i wonder if the economy would have anything to do with it....
Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a newcomer... I did not know my daughter had a problem until she asked for help in December. I come here to gather information and to ask questions. I feel like I am carrying around this big dark secret in which I am not able to share with most people. Here I can talk with everyone because I know you have all been in similiar situations. I have lived through the horrors addiction can cause, as my brother died from his addiction a few yrs ago. I am so grateful that this board exists, if I had known about it during my years of my addict brother's life I would have been here sooner. The understanding and knowledge passed on to me has been invaluable and I appreciate everyone of you as I deal with my heartache.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sometimes for me, it's just lurking but no posting.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, we seem to get an influx of 'newcomers' this time of year. The holidays are over, the drinking and using has come to a head, and finances are in the toilet.

This year, I do believe that the economy may be giving a little additional push, as the one involved with the A is becoming really concerned for their own and/or children's welfare.

It seems to go in cycles.

I am just grateful that SR is here to help in our small way!

Love and hugs,
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Please don't get me wrong here.
I did for one moment before opening your topic, then had to laugh at myself. It was the codie in me who read something into the question. I get so aggravated when others do it to me! It's something I've been working really hard at to stop doing and it looks like I'm not there yet!

Answering your question, I noticed the same thing too. It had me comparing this disease to a viral infection that's on the verge of becoming pandemic. I wish there was a broad spectrum antibiotic or vaccine for all of us
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

I am just grateful that SR is here to help in our small way!
Please do not think that the help that is offered here is small in any way. In the short time I've been here I have learned so much and it has already changed my life by opening my eyes to the realities of addiction. It's sad that there are so many newcomers because I see how many people are dealing with the pain that comes with loving someone with addictions problems. But I'm glad that there is a place like this where you can vent, gather information and get a healthy dose of reality when you need it.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm new here as well... but I don't think in my situation that the economy had an impact. Sis was apparently using/creating for 8 yrs. It's just that she finally got caught.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm new here, but a long time Al-anon and now could be Nar-anon if we had it. I was very happy to find SR since I now live in a place where I don't have access to face-to-face meetings. It is one reason I got the internet -- hoping to find co-dependent recovery info.

I don't know how my number of posts is compared to average, but, I too often lurk. I appreciate everyone's posts.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Forgot where I read it but I read that upwards of 1 in 4 college students have a substance abuse problem. So that means that there will be more and more friends and family in the future. I, for one, am so thankful for this forum. The other night at my meeting one of the ladies commented that I seem so far along for someone who has only been coming to meetings since August. I told her that it was this forum that had made a difference in my life. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a newcomer also. I hit codie bottom in September 2008; though at the time I did not know that's what it was.
I knew I was tired, I told God I was tired of being my AS's mother, I couldn't do what I was doing any more.
That was my vocabulary then; I had never heard the phrase "Let go and let God."
I floundered from September to January, and my fear and shame and embarrassment was like a rock that hung from my neck. The life had been sucked out of me.

I say thank you every day, many times a day for this forum.

resting
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Answering your question, I noticed the same thing too. It had me comparing this disease to a viral infection that's on the verge of becoming pandemic. I wish there was a broad spectrum antibiotic or vaccine for all of us [/QUOTE]

I think you hit it right on. With all the problems going on in the world today and now the economy I know it is young and old alike that are addicts, but I think our young people are having a hard time dealing with all they see in the world today and drugs are an easy escape...............I honestly think this is a pandemic and I think it will get much worse. I am very thankful to have found a place, I almost want to say feels like home.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Accepting the fact that addiction cannot live without a money source, one of the good things coming out of this deep recession is that many family members will not have the extra money or resources to give to the addict and for that reason may be willing to look for other solutions. What a blessing for the addict and for the family!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
I think our young people are having a hard time dealing with all they see in the world today and drugs are an easy escape
why wouldnt they - just watch tv. how many pills are advertised on tv. how many kids do they know that have a lot of energy and are put on some ADD medicine to make them behave. Basically we tell kids if you dont like your life or how someone acts take a pill and it all goes away. Gone are the days of my parents where if you had a problem you hit it head on and dealt with it. I went to the doc and she said "I think your depressed" No sh-- sherlock - who wouldnt be depressed with all i'm going through. but is it "depression take a pill" or "depression work it out and move on" I'm not saying AT ALL that medication doesnt help people with chemical imbalances or when dealing with extreme crisis but maybe we rely on pills too much instead of dealing with things.

dang i got on a rant lol. but one more thing since i'm already ranting - can anyone tell me why medication for depression has a side effect of suicidal tendancies. hello - seems like it doesnt work if it makes you want to die. I have a steadfast rule that i take no medication that has a warning of suicide or anal leakage.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree, Winnie. I think the pharmaceutical companies deserve a great deal of blame for our drug problems, today. We didn't have oxci's and hydro's, fifty years ago ~ somehow people dealt with their aches and pains.

You mentioned side affects. One thing that really confuses me; I know the companies are covering their behinds, by listing all of the side affects ~ but why, in God's name would anyone take any of their drugs after seeing all of the side affects? My personal favorite (not) commercials are the ones that list diarrhea and/or constipation. How can the same drug produce opposite side affects?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ahhhhhhhh Winnie leave it to you to make me laugh!!! You thought about the diet aid also huh.....to funny.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with Marle. I think these forums have gotten me to a good, healthy place a lot quicker than had I just gone to meetings. For one thing, i can bring up troublesome issues that I have and get a dialogue going about it. Gosh, people think enough of me to actually take time out of their day to respond to my posts!! Also, in reading other people's dialogues, i learn so much. I just do not get that aspect of things in face-to-face meetings.

They say the best counselor(s) one can have is a good friendship(s). I think that is what I've gotten here at SR. Thanks, everybody!!!