Notices

Being drunk kept me healthy

Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being drunk kept me healthy

I can laugh at this now.

For years I boasted that my wine cosumption kept away common illness such as cold, flu and other minor ailments which we all suffer from now and again.. Granted, I had the odd one but not as much as my other non wine drinking friends... This wine was great.. And I do believe to this day that it has some properties in it that contributed to this good health... As every time I gave it up along came the streaming colds and flu.... I feel quite foolish to say that I have not long realised that I have been permantly ill as a result of the wine.. Raging hangovers almost every weekend and all week sometimes, bad moods, self loathing due to my inabilty to control or stop drinking, puffy face, poor concentration, no focus... stomach problems due to wine, the list is endless as i am sure you all know.

Bring on sobriety and all the colds & flu it may bring with it.... Thanks for listening. x
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I TOTALLY AGREE.. Why is that? I stoped for one week and have the worst cold I have ever had....WHY???? But on the other hand I do agree I was killing myself with alcohol
Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Often heard in AA....

Da Nile is not just a river in Egypt.
Good to know your now headed to a better future.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is amazing to me how our minds justify our drinking.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

"Wine is good for the heart"........my problem was that pesky "moderation" thing!!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure it does add to better health if you can stop after one glass per day. I used to wish someone would give me the perfect "dose" of wine and say, "That's all you get." Unfortunately I had to drink about 3 glasses, which knocked me out. I've heard grape juice has the same thing in it - maybe I'll start buying grape juice for breakfast. Oh, but that'll offset the savings of not drinking wine...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

When I first read that red wine was good for the heart a few years back I started drinking just one glass of red wine a day. It is too bad I had to follow it up with 10 beer chasers.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I use to joke that if a beer or two a day was good for your health then I'm the superman of healthy living.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After my first sober time, starting around the age of 24 or so...I thought it would be a good idea to reap the abundant benefits of red wine. After all, its not vodka, or bourbon..you know it's good for ya. One glass good, a bottle must be better eh? How bout 2? Since I'm spending so much money on the wine ie (7-8$) I could bet the benefits of wine for cheap, cause its the alcohol that does the trick right? Might as well just drink vodka...its cheaper. HA

My sick rational that got me drinking again many years ago after a good hiatus. Probably even thought about adding a bit of cranberry juice to the vodka to make it seem healthier.....then the juice would just get in the way...

Here's to being rational! (somewhat anyway)
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's all about wine companies making money. What's in wine? Grapes!! Just eat them.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking wine is also sold as a lifestyle. The wine collection, wine cellar, sipping wine with friends outdoors, Nappa and Tuscany... when you think of a wine drinker, you think of someone rich and successful. Now my wine cooler is unplugged - maybe it'll chill the juice boxes for my twins when they get a little older!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Ian

You are so right, everytime i gave up red wine, i used to imagine that i had given up, cosy nights in sipping wine, xmas eve with a glass of wine etc etc, now my reality button kicks in, i dont know how to do the one glass image... its starts with one glass and ends on couple of bottles.. And actually I think i can do more harm than some clear spirits...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Originally Posted by IantheWino View Post
Drinking wine is also sold as a lifestyle. The wine collection, wine cellar, sipping wine with friends outdoors, Nappa and Tuscany... when you think of a wine drinker, you think of someone rich and successful. Now my wine cooler is unplugged - maybe it'll chill the juice boxes for my twins when they get a little older!
LOL........I have a huge wine cellar that sits downstairs UNPLUGGED!

You hit it right on the head with the "lifestyle" tag.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post

Yeah, quite a different lifestyle than the "40 of Colt" lifestyle, but the same one in reality!

I've heard those wine coolers suck a lot of power - more money in my pocket!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post

I wanted a Wine Cellar, until I realized that there was no way the wine would last! I could buy 20 bottles but I would go through them in a matter of days, maybe a week.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I dont know if alcohol kept me from getting physically sick or not, but it deffinitely cut down on the symptoms of my mental illnesses, but self medicating is not the right way to go.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A good thread, Iriss. I SO wanted to believe in the wine is healthy thing, too. One or two glasses a day=good, A one gallon jug a day=not so much. (Started out with the good stuff, ended up with Carlo Rossi.) Moved on to 100 proof vodka and beer.

Now that you mention it, though, I had less colds & flu. Also, who knew I had arthritis in my back & knees? Apparently it's quite advanced, but I was oblivious! Always something.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I wanted to add that I have also been sick for a month and I used to be the person that was least likely to get sick.

I personally think it's because my body suppressed illness because it was battling alcohol everyday and when I quit all of those issues just bubbled to the surface. It's a theory.

Considering I have had 3 separate illnesses in the last month, it's a good one.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I actually used to think the same thing, drinking like mad man and I would NEVER get a cold or the flu. When I stopped for a while, I got the worst cold in years. I'll take a cold and sobriety anytime instead of feeling like h@ll from a hangover all day until I started drinking again.

Roy
Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I couldn't tell if I was sick with a cold/flu or not - I always felt like s%#t! lol JT