Notices

Sucks, but gotta stay strong.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sucks, but gotta stay strong.

Very long evening so far. A neighbor had offered me a drink or two earlier, but I was strong enough to politely say "No thank you, I'm trying to stay away from that." Just once the idea is put in your head it's hard to get out. I suppose reading, praying or something would be a good start to keep my mind off of it and try to get back to my happy place. What are some things others do to keep your mind occupied?
Wes

:praying
Old 02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

As you can see I come on here and post, It really helps by occupying my mind. Try it just answer every post with a thought, a prayer, or a word of encouragement. After awhile in a small way you will know everyone and they will know you,

This probably wouldn't work for a lot of people but it is what I do,
Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's tough my friend. Unfortunately I've gone down this path too many times and one thing I was taught and learned, you cannot do it alone.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe doing some more posting will be good and help me to make more friends and have an encouraging thought with prayer, this might be what I could use to get back to my happy place. And I can be thankful I did at least have the strength to say no this time.

And GTO...you're right...cannot be done alone. Strength in numbers as I've heard.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

If you need face to face contact meetings are good and work well for a lot of people. Personally I prefer the internet over face to face but I am a little weird anyways.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Coming here always inspires me, always.

It's been my lifeline for years.

I find music helps a lot too and getting outside and walking.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For right now I have to stick to internet, and so far it's helping out great and for that I am very thankful. I have to wait until I can get reliable transportation to consider any type of face to face meeting.
Wes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AAAAAAAGGHGHGGHGGGGH!
That was all I could do tonight. I feel you BIG time right now CoF. My best friend was working on a project with another friend of mine and had some tools of mine. He stopped by to return them. He'll usually stays for an hour or so and we play some NHL09 on Xbox, and slam a few beers. Well, being the gracious guest he is he showed up with a 12 pack.
I did not drink.
I also haven't had the discussion with him about me going sober. I just haven't had an opportunity to talk with him this week, and being as good of a friend as he is--he deserves it face to face, not on the phone or otherwise.
God--did that suck. Trust me, the entire hour was spent thinking just one won't hurt, just two won't hurt.
Ugh. But I made it. And I am on Day 5, and I think--a little bit stronger headed into day 6.
Thank you all for this.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah Anna...I cut off all my rock music and put some jazz on. That usually helps me clear my mind, too. And so far between that and being on here is being a big help. I'm starting to cheer back up already. Within the past couple days I've been noticing how these two things greatly help and keep me in a okay mood.
Wes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yah just stay close to here, jump into the chat room if you like. I record a lot of shows on my DVR, and I also just learned to knit (yes.. I know how nerdy that sounds), it's actually quite therpeutic and meditative really. Passes the time quickly! Watch a movie, go for a walk.. anything but drink
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good work Wombat...it looks like me and you both won over the power of temptation. So that if nothing else we can both be happy about. And if we did it once I suppose there's no reason why we can't again.
Wes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good ideas flutter and thanks...I will do anything but drink. I've got two days sober and I'm looking forward to being able to say I've got a week, month, etc.
Wes