Need a little help with a gift idea (off topic)

Old 08-06-2003, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Need a little help with a gift idea (off topic)

Hey folks

I have a friend in work who is retiring and I would like to buy her a gift. She has always been there for me to talk to about my troubles and she has been a very good friend to me.

She has decided to move to Guam to live with her son and grandson who are stationed there currently.

Its hard to think of something to buy someone that is traveling. You don't want to get something that is going to be impossible to take with you especially when you are deciding what you can take with you and what you need to leave behind.

Any ideas? Any thoughts would be appreciated. My mind has been unusually cluttered lately.

Thanks.

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

International telephone calling card.... so's she can call you!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Great idea Smoke!! What else? Maybe I should find a phone book so all of us at work can write our phone numbers and addresses in it.

We collected money from the office and I am sure she will love some spending bucks. She has had a rough time every now and then. I think that is why she has decided to let someone take care of her for a change

We are doing another girls night out on Wednesday for her and another one at the end of the month right before she goes. She is so spoiled!! She is a sweetheart though
Old 08-06-2003, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The telephone/address book is a great idea.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When in doubt

I do a "girl bag". I find a sparkly gift bag and fill it up with bubble bath, exfoiliant tub gloves, a good smelling liquid soap, a candle, some chocolate and other such "girl luxuries". Maybe you could fill your friend's with travel size things. I did a "girl box" for my son's girlfriend for Christmas and she loved it. I also put one of those gel filled masks that you keep in the fridge in my "girl bags". Those things are great for when you have a cold, a sinus headache or puffy eyes from lack of sleep. You are sweet for wanting to give her a nice gift for her "bon voyage". Maybe some stationary for writing letters could go in her bag as well.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 08-06-2003, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Gabe, that is a great idea as well!! A "girl bag", she would love that too. She is always into the lotions and things. I remember going shopping with her once and she bought all this lotion and perfume stuff. I can incorporate the phone and girly things together.

I think I will get right on it tomorrow after work.

Where does one find an international phone card? Do they sell them every where?

Thanks again!!

Hugs,
Debbie
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Deb - great ideas here. My daughter always puts girl bags together for me and I just love them. See if you can find the "Datawave Easy Caller" card. You can buy them at Shell gas stations here, and probably convenience stores, too. No connection fee and it's international. I buy one for $10.00 and it lasts forever. All calls that I make to anyone I know are all long distance, too. It's the connection fees that you have to watch out for - they can eat up the balance way faster than the calls themselves.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Deb,

These are all great ideas. I love the girl bag thing. Now I know what to ask for for my b-day. I was thinking you could get her a nice journal. You could write something on the first page about how much you appreciated her.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Thanks Margo & Steph!!

I am going to stop at the store today and see what I can put together, and I am at the Wawa and 7-11 (convenience stores) all the time so I will check into that calling card. The journal is a great thing also!

Thanks again everyone, I knew you all would have great ideas!!

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

How about starting a charm bracelet? Those Italian ones are cool..."Heavenly Treasures" on the web have a good deal. Buy a charm and get the bracelet free.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They also have really nice "inspirational" gifts at www.marshallfields.com........I bought a friend of mine a Faith Box which you right your prayer and put it in there,,,as if you are turning your troubles over to the Lord. They have all kind's of stuff, necklaces, etc....