Notices

Sugar Sugar Sugar Sugar.....

Old 01-30-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sugar Sugar Sugar Sugar.....

I can't stop eating/drinking sugar.

I had a soda and candies for breakfast....and I'm wired now.

How do I cut this out without relapsing on booze?

I can't smoke anymore, so that's out.

Gambling is an expensive habit...

I want to get up and run around right now.

I've had a problem with food LONG before I ever had a problem with booze. Am I just screwed? Am I never going to win?

HELP ME PEOPLE WHO HAVE FOOD ADDICTION!

WHAT DO I DO?!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bam,

I don't have any personal experience with food addiction so I have nothing to offer on that front. Can you get outside for some exercise? A nice walk, maybe? Walking helps me regroup.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bam, sorry I dont many answers but I imagine the sugar cravings are awful. Maybe buy your favorite pop in regular and diet, then when you go to drink mix them half/half, then you will still taste sugar but it will be half as much.

Cut up a lemon and chew on it, sometimes the sourness curves sugar cravings.

Drink yourself full on water. Gatorade usually satisfies my sugar cravings also.

Pickles are supposed to repress appetite.

:ghug3
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Replace it with an exercise addiction. Sign up and join a gym. You can use the money you save from not drinking to pay for a membership. As a side benefit you will likely meet some new friends who are less likely to be alcoholics than you would at other places. Right now I am one to talk as I am doing the sugar thing but I am counterbalancing it with the gym. The Yin and the Yang.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ken & I were just talking about this in a thread yesterday. I Rarely craved any kind of sugar or sweets when I was drinking. Much rather have a vodka diet Dr pepper.

In the last week, I have found that I am craving chocolate!
I actually started adding cocoa to my coffee because in the mornings because I have been craving it. EEK!

I am going to try to start to keep more fruits in the house & see if that helps!

Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bam - We are all addictive personalities. As far as the sugar addiction, does sugar free stuff do it for you? There is so much with splenda these days. I personally go for the sugar free pudding. If I'm craving salt and crunch, its claussen pickles (like Trish). If its not a craving, but eating out of boredom then you've got to find something to occupy your time. If its eating for emotional reasons then try meditation. I sometimes eat out of boredom and/or stress. We just have to find healthier coping mechanisms. Know what I mean?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So food is one addiction I don't have amazingly but actually I was reading this book that writes about how sugar is extremely addictive and when I eat sugar I actually find myself craving more, feeling crappier, etc. I did eat a lot (ice cream daily) for prob the first 6 weeks of sobriety but then my body stopped wanting it. But one thing I found interesting in this book was that it was saying think about how sugar is processed, it is more processed than most drugs, your body metabolizes it quickly so you get a quick high then a quick low. Also I have a friend who has a crazy sugar addiction and while I am always quitting the booze she is quitting sugar so I hear all about it. So my suggestions:

1. Stop eating sugar (sugar cane/beet sugar). I know cravings suck but it is physically addictive so if you can kick it I think it makes it easier.

2. Eat small fiberous meals with whole grains all day. I always eat and if I don't I get cranky. I probably eat 5 meals a day but little ones. Be sure and eat fat (good fat if possible) and fiber to keep you satiated.

3. When you eat sweet things use other things as sweetners. Good alternatives are stevia, agave, maple syrup, and others. You'll have to do some research but there are a lot of sweet things that hit your body much more slowly than sugar so don't create such highs and lows.

4. I think some supplements might help like the omega fatty acids, l-glutamine, others? not sure. Ok, pretty sure I am overstepping rules of forum in this post but I am actually just regurgitating info from books and people. So point is that there is info on this out there too you could research it. Also if you don't ingest as much sugar your body will prob feel a lot better I know when I ingest less I feel way better but I can totally get sucked in to a sugar cycle to.