Notices

Household Stuff - Getting Back on Track

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Household Stuff - Getting Back on Track

So I let a few things go when I was drinking (lol slight understatement). DH and I moved about 6 months ago and I basically or he did I don't really remember unpacked what we needed and I left the rest. So I have been in the house for 6 months and I am still crawling over boxes. I don't know where most of my stuff is. I start to unpack a box and I am like WTH is this stuff?

We have moved about 10 times in the last 12 years with DH's job and some of the boxes have gone 5 years w/o being opened. DH said he would help me but he is gone 60% of the time and working 16 hour days the rest of the time.

My Mom gets here in about a week. Any advice for getting back on track? It really just seems very overwhelming. The only thing that is put together is my kitchen and something tells me she isn't going to want to vacation in my kitchen.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ah yes, I was a military wife for 22 years and I know moving.

My advice is - be brutal about what you need and what you should get rid of.

This is hard while you are doing it, but you will be amazed at how free you feel when you've finished.

Fill up garbage bags or boxes with stuff to toss.

Fill up boxes with stuff you can donate to a women's shelter or the Salvation Army.

Only keep things that you are certain you need and will use.

If you can't get through all of your stuff, do you have a garage or storage space where you can keep it till your Mom leaves.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Good advice from Anna.

I'm in the process of moving myself, although it is literally right down the street. We didn't pack everything in boxes but rather bring over things slowly... as necessry. It really makes you think about what you need and what is just clutter.

Just start unpacking and going through things. Starting is the 1st step.

Good luck !
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You cant climb a mountain until you take one step forward.....

I guess thats the key........set yourself small goals......a bit at a time and your be surprized how the mountain shrinks.

I used to get like this with course work for college......id look at the whole pile and get nothing done.........rather than looking a one page first.

your gonna be fine........trucker
Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

What Anna said!! Especially if you have boxes that haven't been opened/unpacked in 5 years you are going to figure out REALLY QUICKLY that you have a lot of stuff you don't need! I mean heck - if you haven't missed it in 5 years how badly do you need it (or even want it)?

I too went through lots of moves in a short time span and I remember vividly how much it sucks. It IS overwhelming. Don't try to get through 6 months of boxes in one week, you'll drive yourself crazy. Set more realistic goals, like clearing out a room for her to stay in and having a section of the living room you can sit in (or whatever is comparable for your house).

If you open a box and your first though is, "WTF am I going to do with all this stuff? I don't even know where half of it came from!" then close it back up, put it in a stack for after your mom leaves, and move on. DEFINITELY make boxes of stuff to give away to goodwill (as you empty a box and put away stuff you're going to keep, put 'give away' stuff in its place in the box and load it in your car).

You CAN do it. Just keep your goals realistic and don't try to get it all done in just a few days. Turn on some fun music before you start unpacking, too.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Thanks Anna.

Yup, the fun of being a military spouse. It's weird I used to unpack my house in less than a week. I think you are right. I haven't really gone through my stuff and donated and thrown away since our move to HI.

It's weird. I open a box and am like "Hey, this is neat. Should I donate it? Then I am like no I would probably buy it again." I really need to get serious about what I need and don't need.

I am in the middle of nowhere so a garage sale is out.

This sounds silly but I have clothes ranging from size zero to size 16. I am losing my alcohol pounds very quickly and don't want to donate the mid-range size clothes because in a few months that will be what I am wearing. I can definitely get rid of anything under a Juniors 5 though. At 30, I don't think they are going to fit and I don't want them to.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OMG! Great timing for this post, I actaully was talking to someone over PM about this.

I can honestly say I used to think if I had some drinks I would get "energy" and clean the house! Well lets be honest after a few you start 3-4 different rooms, than it gets easier to close doors.
I feel terrible for it now. I used to be good about keeping the kitchen & living room clean, you know the rooms that if anyone stopped by would see, but the upstairs was in shambles! My poor kids rooms were aweful, to the point the boy was just sleeping on my bedroom floor because his bed was full of clothes.

Well I had decided that If I am going to make changes, I am going FULL OUT! Detox my house too!
I cleaned all the bedrooms up stairs, right down to dusting ceiling fans. I got rid of a ton of stuff. It feels so good to go up there & not have to close doors cuz I don't want to deal with it. My kids are so happy to have nice clean rooms & they are actually going to bed at a decent time & reading in their beds again.

Now I need to tackel the basement!

Good Luck on your house detox too!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
What Anna said!! Especially if you have boxes that haven't been opened/unpacked in 5 years you are going to figure out REALLY QUICKLY that you have a lot of stuff you don't need! I mean heck - if you haven't missed it in 5 years how badly do you need it (or even want it)?

I too went through lots of moves in a short time span and I remember vividly how much it sucks. It IS overwhelming. Don't try to get through 6 months of boxes in one week, you'll drive yourself crazy. Set more realistic goals, like clearing out a room for her to stay in and having a section of the living room you can sit in (or whatever is comparable for your house).

If you open a box and your first though is, "WTF am I going to do with all this stuff? I don't even know where half of it came from!" then close it back up, put it in a stack for after your mom leaves, and move on. DEFINITELY make boxes of stuff to give away to goodwill (as you empty a box and put away stuff you're going to keep, put 'give away' stuff in its place in the box and load it in your car).

You CAN do it. Just keep your goals realistic and don't try to get it all done in just a few days. Turn on some fun music before you start unpacking, too.

LOL, on the old boxes I am just so tempted to call a charity and tell them to come pick them up. Then I would probably find out I gave them my wedding pictures.

I think another part of the problem is we went from 1200 sq feet to 2800 sq feet so I need to buy some furniture. Maybe I will just concentrate on putting together the room where she is going to sleep, the main living room which is basically finished since I dragged the boxes from one room to the other.

You guys are definitely right. I am looking at this as one big problem instead of a little problem to break into pieces.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
OMG! Great timing for this post, I actaully was talking to someone over PM about this.

I can honestly say I used to think if I had some drinks I would get "energy" and clean the house! Well lets be honest after a few you start 3-4 different rooms, than it gets easier to close doors.
I feel terrible for it now. I used to be good about keeping the kitchen & living room clean, you know the rooms that if anyone stopped by would see, but the upstairs was in shambles! My poor kids rooms were aweful, to the point the boy was just sleeping on my bedroom floor because his bed was full of clothes.

Well I had decided that If I am going to make changes, I am going FULL OUT! Detox my house too!
I cleaned all the bedrooms up stairs, right down to dusting ceiling fans. I got rid of a ton of stuff. It feels so good to go up there & not have to close doors cuz I don't want to deal with it. My kids are so happy to have nice clean rooms & they are actually going to bed at a decent time & reading in their beds again.

Now I need to tackel the basement!

Good Luck on your house detox too!!!
Thanks. I am glad I am not the only one. LOL My house used to be spotless.

This is going to sound awful but when I was drinking whiskey by the bottle full I would wake up the next morning to a spotless house and not even remember doing it. It was like having a maid. When I decided to go through my wine and beer phase in the last year I was just lazy.

Congrats on getting your house finished!