Notices

Mental Distress

Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Mental Distress

I put this up in the mental forum, but more people go to newcomers.

If I have to admit myself, what do I have to do?

I do not have insurance...are there free options?

I did sleep last night but it did not help. I'm really really edgy.

I want to destroy things. When it gets to the point of where I really am going to hurt myself or someone else, I'm going to have to go.

Does ANYONE have experience with this?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quickest way would be to call the crisis intervention number in your phone book. It's in the blue pages usually under hotlines. They are county workers (social workers) who could set everything up for you if you don't feel up to doing it yourself.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bam,

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Can you call the local emergency room? They would be able to help.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Kind of a repost of what I put in the other forum. I would suggest in order of how bad your situation is:

1. 9-11
2. Go to a hospital
3. Call your doctor, any local psychiatrist, hospital, community support org. (United Way has a great referral service in a lot of communities) and ask them to refer you to a social worker in mental health services. This is if you can hold out long enough to work out the details of payment ahead of time. You might be surprised what is available for the uninsured, but that will inevitably depend on your circumstances.
4. Call any of the above and ask for an assessment. If things have settled to a point where you're not feeling at risk and you're unsure about hospital admission. Or ask for a referral. I had a couple local psychiatrists refer me to my state's mental health program and local Catholic social services, both of which set me up with sliding scale therapy that costs me just a couple dollars more a month than my bus pass (therapy + medication.)
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Consider AA and/or NA meetings.

The 12 step program and other principles have been invaluable in my own quest for peace of mind.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would explore your local options for counseling and/or meds. Do you have a mental health agency in your town? I would start by looking in the phone book under 'mental health' and go from there.

:ghug3
Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bam,

You can call 911 or go to an emergency room.

There may be a Crisis Hotline in your local telephone book.

There is help for you.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd suggest calling a crisis line. I know in my city they have mobile crisis units that will come to your house (for free). I had them come out one New Year's day. They took me to the ER and then made arrangements for detox. They checked into my insurance for me. Since you don't have insurance, maybe they could check into govt sponsored insurance and get the ball rolling.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks, everyone. I'm okay for now...I'm going to sit tight. I don't want anyone to worry....I'm a lot more stable at the moment. Being on SR makes me feel a little better.

I'm still sober.

Thank you for the information...I wrote it down and I'll put it in a safe place if I need it. I probably should have admitted myself last night...but somehow I made it through. I want to be ready for it the next time.

I know I need to take care of my mental health, but there's the whole thing going on with my heart right now, and after I go to my appointment next week, hopefully things will settle down so I can get some much needed help for my mind.

Should I mention the head stuff to the cardiologist, too?

I know I'll be honest about my drinking (no doubt about that), but it would probably be a good idea to tell him/her about the anxiety and depression thing...I've never been officially diagnosed, but that's what's going on....probably. Who knows...I'm not a psychologist. But something is definetly wrong and I cannot control it (whatever it is started a good year or two before I started drinking).

Yeah, I think I'll tell him/her all of that, and also that I need to know if the drinking damaged my heart. If it turns out anxiety is the cause of it all, that's fine....but I need to know for sure.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I even see commercials on tv sometimes for 1-800 numbers people can call for free help. I wish I could remember the name of the place right now but it's been a while since I saw the commercial. I like the idea of looking in the phone book for crisis centers. The Salvation Army might at least be able to give you a referral to someone you can call, too.

Hang in there, Bam. *hugs*
Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Definitely be honest about EVERYTHING Bam. I have read where anxiety or panic attacks can make you feel like you are having a panic attack, but this is NOT a medical opinion or diagnosis. I don't want to get in trouble here. Write down a list of all your concerns and symptoms and when they occur and just everything you can think of. Be prepared to ask all the questions you can think of. You need some peace of mind.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Definitely be honest about EVERYTHING Bam. I have read where anxiety or panic attacks can make you feel like you are having a panic attack, but this is NOT a medical opinion or diagnosis. I don't want to get in trouble here. Write down a list of all your concerns and symptoms and when they occur and just everything you can think of. Be prepared to ask all the questions you can think of. You need some peace of mind.

". . . can make you feel like you are having a heart attack, . . ."

Just re-read and needed to clarify. Oops! Sorry!!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Oh Bam..I am so sorry your feeling like that.

Call social services. I cant stress that enough. If you have to. Just take a trip to the ER..Explain what your going through..explain you dont have insurance and they can even help with that.
Dont be too proud to ask for help. There is help out there. And I have told you this a few times. Medical help ..especially when it comes to serious issues as yours can be obtained either free or with some sort of financial help. But you have to ask and find out what can be done.
I hope you feel better.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I know I need to take care of my mental health, but there's the whole thing going on with my heart right now, and after I go to my appointment next week, hopefully things will settle down so I can get some much needed help for my mind.

Should I mention the head stuff to the cardiologist, too?
Hi Bam and big hugs going out to you! :ghug3

My 21 year old daughter has a heart condition (severe) which warrants meds and a possibility of a heart transplant down the line (at 6 yrs old we were all set up for that) .... Always, at any heart appt, the Dr will ask "How are you doing"... not just with her heart --- but with her life in general. That seems to be a good openning to other things and more information if needed!

If I were you, and I'm not... I would definitely tell your Cardiologist about the mental stress you are experiencing as he could have some great suggestions with coping with it and/or referrals with associations he/she may know of! With our backgrounds of abuse and physical/mental ailments, we just can't keep things where Doctors are concerned, to ourselves anymore! We have nothing to lose by being transparent and honest about our "condition(s)"!

I hope this was somewhat helpful! All my xoxox going out to you!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

I would tell them, Bam, definitely. Emotional stress does affect your heart rate so it's not an irrelevant question I'd say. Even it does turn out to be irrelevant to the condition of your heart you wont lose anything by asking.

Glad you feel more settled. If it means anything I've had more days than I could count where I contemplated going back into inpatient care. Then a few hours go by and I settle down. But it's good to hear you're at least having a plan in place. When I went in it was a desperate shot-in-the-dark decision.