Notices

Fearing the weekend

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Fearing the weekend

As the week winds down I realize instead of looking forward to the weekend (because I could drink) I fear it, what am I going to replace with my drinking?

The other aspect is realizing I would almost get 'high' ANTICIPATING drinking. Does anyone else feel this way?

I would have my bottle stashed, music or movie picked out, the only thing I didn't pick out for my booze date was what to wear. But, I prearranged where/how to drink and then would fantacize about it during the day. I did this whether I went out or stayed home. I would actually be in a good mood just thinking aout it. OMG I had an affair with the bottle.

Then of course I would justify getting smashed because I earned it working, getting to classes & doing my homework. That is one reward system with too high of a price tag anymore.

I will be here a lot this weekend, I hope.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just don't do it PrettyP.

I was the same way, and now I get that same high feeling when I dream about waking up feeling GREAT! It sounds funny, but I really really hated the hang-overs. On the flip side, I really really love feeling good in the morning..

Enjoy your movie sober,

Good luck!

Heavy
Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It helps me to come here if I get the urge to drink. Posting about it helps to talk me out of it. You can stay sober - just take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. And don't pick up that first drink - it will lead you right back to that hellhole.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you going to aa or any other support groups, pretty? you can do this! hugs, k
Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I will be here a lot this weekend, I hope.

Post that again, without the 'I hope' part.

Firm resolve - don't be wishy-washy. You will either be here or you won't, and it is 100% your choice.

Hard to do, but maybe try to start living up to what you say you are going to do without leaving a back door to wriggle out of?

(And YES, I would HIGHLY recommend AA or NA meetings over the weekend - explore new activities.)
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

You can come here and respond to my stupid posts and not too insightful insights. I will also be here a lot of the weekend trying to stay busy.:ghug3
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know about the reward thing - How'd that song go? ".... Waiting for the Weekend"...

Get some weekends behind you, do what you have to do, one....day.....at ....a .....time, and pretty soon it's not so much of a funny feeling. I've got only 16 weekends behind me and I don't feel so weird about it anymore.... can't say I don't think about it, it just doesn't gnaw at me !!

Also, I've got a couple of weekend morning AA meetings that I like very much, and though it may sound strange to other newcomers... I look forward to them!!

Post here all weekend long... I'll be here too ...

Mark
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

It's funny when you think about it. We are aware that alcohol is wrecking us, and yet we sometimes become more afraid of boredom than the consequences that came from drinking. I know for me the consequences would've been better had I starred at a wall for hours than most of my last drinking episodes. Yet, just like you I get uneasy when the thought of "nothing to do" comes up, and the thought of drinking will pop up.

I personally recommend boredom as a last resort, rather than alcohol.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just think how nice it will be to not waste maybe one of the weekend days feeling like crap with a hangover! I was so nervous about weekends too, but eventually you realize there is soooooo much to do without drinking. Just not wasting those precious two days off feeling like crap is a blessing to me.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Well

read what you wrote again

In all reality, you didn't have to wait until, the weekend to have done this did you?

Ever think, of rewarding yourself for not drinking??

The more years I drank, the closer the weekends were together until, Wed. was what stopped me from drinking 7 dsays a week. I could say, I'm just a weekend warrior.

Do you have sober friends or, friends that don't have a problem with drinking to share this with to help you occupy your mind?? You mind is a most dangerous playground for you to be in if, your mind set remains as it is.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Thanks everybody for the support, I thought I was a freak for being a scaredypants about the weekend coming up (although I may still be a freak ??)

It never really took the weekend for an excuse to drink but that's when I'm alone the most and during the week there is some kind of routine to cling to.

And oh yes, my mind can be a very scary playground...sooo I'm looking for a meeting in my area (will be on the AA site later) and that will suffice as my reward for not drinking, and coming back to be with all of you :ghug