Hope

Old 01-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hope

As many of you know my AD was in rehab & got out on her 30th Birthday, 12/7. Since that time she has been attending 2-3 meeting each day, has widened her network, and is working her program.

In the 9 years that I have been in the Naranon program I have attended a few AA and NA meetings as well. However, until last nite I had never been to an anniversary meeting. Last nite I joined my daughter at the anniversary meeting for a friend. She has 5 years clean and sober. I had never heard her story, which actually begins around the time she & my AD met. (approx 11 years ago) She even mentioned me in her story (not a good thing...as you see at the time I was very naive & gullable....I believed their stories...hook,line & sinker...even let her live with us) They were both using weed & alcohol at the time. (what did I know) Later my AD progressed to crack and the friend to heroin.

After she shared, my AD shared that she was very sorry that she had almost gotten the friend killed in two major car accidents. Both times ending in shock trauma for both of them.

As it happens the friends mom was sitting next to me (she didn't recognize me...I believe if she had...she probably would have moved) After the meeting I hugged her & apologized to her (because you see I had let her daug live with me...after Mom kicked her out)

Another person shared, how she was always the cronic relapser....(hmm sounds like my AD) however this person now has 22 years clean and sober.

So the title of my thread is HOPE, for us & for them.

Hugs to everyone!
Chris
Old 01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the HOPE!!!

I love HOPE!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by SERENITY BOUND View Post
As many of you know my AD was in rehab & got out on her 30th Birthday, 12/7. Since that time she has been attending 2-3 meeting each day, has widened her network, and is working her program.

In the 9 years that I have been in the Naranon program I have attended a few AA and NA meetings as well. However, until last nite I had never been to an anniversary meeting. Last nite I joined my daughter at the anniversary meeting for a friend. She has 5 years clean and sober. I had never heard her story, which actually begins around the time she & my AD met. (approx 11 years ago) She even mentioned me in her story (not a good thing...as you see at the time I was very naive & gullable....I believed their stories...hook,line & sinker...even let her live with us) They were both using weed & alcohol at the time. (what did I know) Later my AD progressed to crack and the friend to heroin.

After she shared, my AD shared that she was very sorry that she had almost gotten the friend killed in two major car accidents. Both times ending in shock trauma for both of them.

As it happens the friends mom was sitting next to me (she didn't recognize me...I believe if she had...she probably would have moved) After the meeting I hugged her & apologized to her (because you see I had let her daug live with me...after Mom kicked her out)

Another person shared, how she was always the cronic relapser....(hmm sounds like my AD) however this person now has 22 years clean and sober.

So the title of my thread is HOPE, for us & for them.

Hugs to everyone!
Chris
There is hope. We do recover. Every member of NA or AA is a miracle, and there are hundreds of thousands of us.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your message of hope. Every time I attend anniversaries, I am recharged with that hopefullness. Each story of reaching bottom more incredible than the next - the number of chronic relapsers living a clean and happy life now - incredible.
We DO recover...addicts, friends and family. We just need that desire and to be both ready and willing.

It's funny that you gave this thread the title of Hope. As I was driving back from Naranon tonight, my thoughts were about just that and I was considering posting. One of our memebers came to the rooms after more than 2 decades of addiction impacting his life. His daughter started using very young; had mental health issues as well and he did everything he could think of to try to "save her." Finally she ran away for the last time and he had not heard from her in 20 years. About a year after he started attending meetings, when he was starting to understand that no matter what, he had to take care of himself and recover, his phone rang and he heard a voice say "Daddy?" Both he and his daughter were ready to take the next step in their respective journeys and be reunited. It was such a story of hope.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have seen even the most hopeless of addicts get clean and stay clean, even after years and years of relapses. A few forums up there are many "miracles" of recovery, who also share of how "hopeless" they once felt.

Hope? You betcha! As long as there is a breath in my body, I will never give up hope.

Hugs