Notices

need some unbiased opinions

Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need some unbiased opinions

I've had anxiety practically my entire life. I'm a 21 year old college student and I've been on and off meds and seeing a therapist since I was 15. I'm currently on a low dosage of xanax and wellbutrin(I've been taking both forever, and haven't changed my meds recently), although I would like to get off the wellbutrin.
I have been seeing a great therapist for the past four years. I feel like she helped me more than any drug. But recently I've become incredibly frustrated. Last semester(the fall semester) I was diagnosed with some form of meniere's disease(which gives you crazy vertigo, but I've got it under control pretty well) and all my anxiety came back. I stuck the semester out and got good grades, kept up with my social life, etc. I'm living at home for the first time in 2 years. I kind of made up some bs excuse to my parents about being "burnt out," but the truth is that I have become terrified to go anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I do go places. I force myself too. But the classroom, restaurants, stores, you name it, they all freak me out. I feel that old feeling of panic like I have to *bolt* right then and there. For example, if I go to the grocery store I'm incredibly tempted to drop my stuff and run out. My breathing gets shallow and I feel dizzy.
My therapist says that I'm making process because the "old me" would have bolted. However, if these symptoms of anxiety have been persisting for months and getting worse, I don't feel like I'm "getting better." This is extremely frustrating, as I'm sure so many of you know.
I didn't really admit to myself how anxious I've been and how bad I'm feeling until a couple of days ago. I'm trying not be hard on myself for moving back home and cutting back on some school clubs etc, but I am disappointed in myself. I start classes tomorrow and although I am psyched about what I'm taking I'm so afraid of getting dizzy.
My questions are... do you think my therapist is right? and what do you do to treat that "I have to bolt" feeling(not a panic attack, per se, just anxiety when you feel trapped).
thanks! and my sincere, freaking *love* goes out to the rest of you with anxiety. I usually go about four months free from it(heaven!) and then it comes back to bite me.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there

I used to get these sort of anxiety symptoms after a particularly heavy day of drinking, i.e. the following day. This would generally mean the following, just a few examples:

1. On walking to work there are very tall buildings and a large open space including the road between them, when i was half way across this space i would have the feeling that i was going to spin out or become unsteady and this would make me want to run towards one or the other end.
2. There is a runway between the border in gibraltar and the actual start of the town, either side of the runway is sea, i could not walk across this and have just managed to on my last visit only cos i am sober and on antis at the moment.
3. The best one. When waiting in line for, say a sandwich in subway, my palms would start sweating, i would become unsteady on my feet and have to keep moving from side to side, feeling dizzy and more than most i would just get the **** out of there. I never knew this was anxiety until i went to my counseller though!

Thata said i dont know how useful this post will be to you as i dont have the answers to your questions, but all the above are getting better for me, i haven't been sober long enough to tell you if they will reoccur though!

IMO you should trust your therapist until there is reason not to in this case, hopefully someone will post with an answer or some better advice:-)

I think you are amazing to be addressing all this so young, good for you!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Koa
Koa

maybe being back at home triggers your anxiety? i think that has played a large role in my anxiety kicking back up it just reminds me of the past
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i don't have the "bolt" feeling when I get panic attacks, instead I have the "deer in headlights" feeling where every muscle in my body tenses and I am barely able to move. Not sure which is worse but I suppose I would rather run away quickly than freeze in the middle of a busy street.

I've just started to explore options about treatment-- I've never taken meds, or been to therapy that addressed this--but one thing I do when that happens is just to take a huge deep breath and try to slow my breathing.. and think REALLY HARD about something that has nothing to do with my surroundings (like something happy or a beach or something you're looking forward to), and tell myself everything will be ok if you don't bolt/freeze, and focus on making my muscles relax and do what I want them to do. It might not be the most effective thing but it's just something if you're stuck in a moment. Not sure if it would work for you, but it works a bit for me.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I get a panic attack the first thing I feel is a strong sense of deja-vu and derealisation like I'm in a dream. Then I get the deer in headlights sensation. Then comes the hot flash with sweating (even if I'm outside and it's in the 30's) And through it all extreme fear that I'm losing my mind that stays with me a good hour or two after the initial attack. It seems I have them on a monthly cycle. I'll have them for 2-3 days and they'll go away for about a month. I usually think I'm cured during this "remission" just for them to come back a little later with a vengence. The only thing that really helps me cope is talking to a few trusted friends/family about my concerns. Another thing that makes me feel a little better is finding out I'm not the only one that goes through these things. GL with your anxiety/panic attacks. I'll pray for you if you pray for me.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

It sounds like your new medical diagnosis is contributing to the anxiety.

I had whiplash a few years ago, and often had spells of dizziness and nausea. I was afraid to go out in public, be on public transportation, or be in large crowds where I couldn't escape immediately. I was afraid of getting sick in public. My heart rate and respirations would soar from the anxiety, a wave of heat would pass through me, and I would feel even more ill as a result.

The thing that finally helped me was this: I went on an outdoor volunteer trip to clear brush from hiking trails. I was afraid of being far from the starting point, or transportation out. So I told the man in charge exactly what was up - that I was enthusiastic about helping, but I had a condition that often made me dizzy and nauseous, and that I was worried about getting out/getting help in time. He was very understanding and assured me that the various group leaders had radios, and that I shouldn't hesitate to ask for help if I needed it.

I spent the day in good spirits and hardly any anxiety. And I didn't get sickl. Not because anything about me had changed, but because my worries were shared with and understood by someone else.

Hope this helps!