Notices

What Do I Do When I Am Sober?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Do I Do When I Am Sober?

I am planning on getting sober (yet again) after the New Year. I have been sober in the past, and being bored has always been my reason for falling off the wagon. I am now involved with someone who I know will be incredibly supportive of my sobriety, and wants to start doing things with me sober. What do people do for fun when they are not drinking? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ditto on everything Classical said.. I do most everything I always did, just with a clear head, less anxiety, less guilt, better sleep.

I do find, when I *$&# up and drink, and start over in sobriety (lets make this the LAST time!) that I have to keep myself busy. No better time than the holiday season! I spent years and years planning on sobriety, just like when I'd always order "just one more" at the bar.. I always wanted one more party, one more hurrah. Clearly that doesn't work for most people. Start today! Think of all you can get done this week, bake extra cookies, see some movies, spend time cherishing friends without being in a buzz, etc etc. I know someone that knows this board way better than I do will post a huge list of things to do instead of drinking, it's awesome.

It reminds me sometimes of people (drinking or sober) who complain "I'm bored, there's nothing to do".. Really?? There's SO much life to live.

Good luck, and welcome!!

Day 4
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am going to say ditto here again. I also replaced the time I usually would start drinking with another activity. Such as I am currently playing a silly mobster game on myspace at the time I usually would start drinking. Or I go shopping. Before I would shop only through the day so I could have my evening to myself to get my buzz on. I also go to bed earlier. I watch t.v. shows and actually remember what happens on them now. I also started exercising. Being sober is well worth it!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you sporty at all? You could join a running club, or a gym or rock climbing gym etc. and start going there 2-3 times a week.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My plan is to do more mountain biking and fall into an exercise routine. I would think exercising is one of the best things to do because it promotes a healthy lifestyle and would help make drinking seem like a waste of time. This has worked for me in a past, though I admit I've never made it past a month or so, but really plan to this time.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Join the gym, start something new like spinning class or yoga. Many people get interested in fitness when they begin recovery. It is a new way of life. After working out so much you wont want to spoil it with wine or beer and the work out destroying hangovers that follow.

That is what I did. Running is also a great stress reliever and where I live it is a social thing too..there are races every weekend and a runners club.
I love physical activity because of the endorphins it produces. I can sail through my day after a good run. Also roller blading, tennis, and swimming are great ways to spend time and feel great.

Other stuff? Reading, Barnes and Noble book clubs, Oprahs book club, taking some classes on cooking or art, go to the movies. Volunteer...if you like animals voulunteer at the SPCA and walk the dogs (we are doing that lol)
or better yet adopt a new friend (woof)

As you can see I do not let dust collect on my shoulders because if I do I will get inside my own head which is a bad place to be. I cannot change the past or people who hurt me or my mistakes but I can NOT drink over it and keep on moving...

One thing I do is iron my outfit and my sons outfit for the nest day and I hang them where I can see them and I get his bag ready and socks and all....and I know that there is a tomorrow and we are going to go out and have a great day..I get my coffee all ready and mug and all so it just needs to be popped on...

I know if I pick up today there might not be a tomorrow...and if there is it will NOT be great..seeing the clothes hanging there remind me of this.

Whatever works. Keep posting..you can do it. I know you have to be ready and you have support when you are.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Cant add anything more...All the things you do drinking and then some. But with one exception..You wont feel like refried crap afterwards.

Glad you have someone to support you. I am sure she will have many ideas as to what to do sober.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just had to stop and say that **** Ma has been one of my online names for a long time, lol. You are very fortunate to have someone so supportive in your life. Try doing fun things that you may never have tried before, even things that give you an adrenaline rush. That way you might experience a rush similar to the rush you might have gotten from using. The best way tp stay sober is to keep yourself busy, so find new hobbies and things that you enjoy. Take a dance class. A painting class. Start taking pictures. Keep a journal. Make new sober friends. You'll do just fine.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

not to sound so obvious or cliche, but i recently found about something about myself i didn't know~ i'm crafty! i've been doing beading and found it has a very, very calming sort of soothing affect on me~ i'm so grateful i found this, and i was told that doing something that is repetitive and in a pattern or formation has something to do with a chemical in your brain or something, lol something scientific that i don't know anything about. but yay! better than slamming beers in a reptitive fashion, and i don't have to worry about having to ask my friend the next day, "did i do anything stupid last night?"
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll expand a bit,

Start a company, if you don't know how, find out how. Pursue the dreams (the realistic ones )you had when you had when you were younger before drinking was even an option. Involve your true friends and family more in your life (once they're gone, they're gone forever). Go scuba diving, bungee jumping, sky diving, learn to fly a plane, go site seeing, drive cross country, go fishing, get involved in city politics, MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

I know some of my suggestions are unrealistic, I'm just trying to let you know there is soo much to do out there that alcohol doesnt need to be part of to feel like you're living life and accomplishing something.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~miss nikky~

all the leisure activities you do when you drink can be done sober too,
most important thing to do when getting clean at first is 90meetings in 90days, get involved with LOTSA people who are doin the same as you an will support you at all times of the day an night...plenty of time for fun after a solid foundation is set.
best of luck an a merry xmas to you
Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the past two weeks that I've been sober, I've been running more (always been a passion). It's nice not to be hungover and get things done around the house. I've been baking a lot, cooking...hanging with my daughters, going to movies, renting movies, walking, reconnecting with old friends...the list goes on...I also plan on getting all of my pictures organized after the New Year and into scrapbooks. Set a goal for yourself and take baby steps to get there...
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by **** ma View Post
I am planning on getting sober (yet again) after the New Year. I have been sober in the past, and being bored has always been my reason for falling off the wagon. I am now involved with someone who I know will be incredibly supportive of my sobriety, and wants to start doing things with me sober. What do people do for fun when they are not drinking? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
What did you want to do?

I recently ran in my first Marathon at 57 and am planning to trekking in the himalayas... everything is possible.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by **** ma View Post
Hi **** and welcome back!!

I doubt you'll be bored because you are sober. boredom has nothing to do with sobriety, it has everything to do with the quality of attention you pay in the moment to what is the next right thing to do.

boredom arises much more frequently when we are drinking than when we are sober. check it out. the only thing is, when we are drinking and feel something, we usually are so numb that it doesn't get registered. So, we might be bored and not even notice it.

in sobriety, you will get your senses heightened. thats the good news. listen to your senses and let them guide you. starting right now.

I am glad you are ready for sobriety. it is beautiful!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your question is one that I too have struggled with. I like to do plenty of things in which alcohol should have no part. But, in getting through these early 90+ days of sobriety, rehab, etc... I really didn't know what the heck I was going to do with myself. I've been restless and discontent.

I had my best weekend yet, spiritually speaking, ie Big Book. The restlessness finally settled down. I began to realize I will be able to do all the things I like to, but for me to actually get psyched up to do them?... I have to keep working my recovery and get comfortable in my own skin. Given so many years of being active in my disease, I guess it's no surprise that it's taking some time.

I still get bogged down and don't feel light hearted and free, but at least I can see that it is possible to get outside myself. It didn't happen in the first few weeks, that's for sure.

Keep on workin' it, it works . Be patient... It got better for me.