Notices

Another Statistic

Old 12-17-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Statistic

A long time friend of my family passed away two days ago. From a drug overdose. Of course, when people heard what happened many were not surprised, he had come very close to death twice in the last few months as it was and has been a hardcore addict for the better part of the last 20 years or so.

Although his addiction did eventually kill him I feel like many people are forgetting something though and it really bothers me. He was not just a drug addict, he was a husband, a father, a son. No matter what awful things he may have done in the past he was loved by others and he meant something to the people in his life. Drugs could not take that away from him, no matter how hard he pushed them away, his family still held him very close.

My fear now is that his wife, who is also an addict, will not be able to turn her life around. Their habits have gotten so much worse in the last few years that they had their youngest child taken out of the home, they were about to lose their house and still, they just kept getting high. They also have a daughter starting college. So, now that her rock and the stability that she has always known has been taken away from her, I do not know what will happen to her or their family.

I am leaving tonight with my family to drive back home to MA for the holidays. Although I had every intention of attending the services and whatever there may be afterward, already everyone is saying how they are going to "honor his memory" by getting blitzed. The guy died from this $hit and they are going to honor him by using it in his memory. To me that's immature and a slap in his face. So, I will honor him in my own way and mourn him in my own way.

My question to whoever may read this is : If you are a praying person, could you please maybe include his family in your prayers? I don't know how they are going to come out of this on top but they have to have a chance at it. She could still turn her life around and make it better for the kids. So, if you can I would appreciate it, and if not, well thanks for reading the post. I know it's long.

One more thing: on a different note, I am leaving tonight and probably won't have access to a computer for the next 2 days or so (driving home), so I am not avoiding anyone or relapsing, just unavailable. Once I get home I will be able to check in now and then. I hope everyone has a great day!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. It surely does bring home the reality of this disease every time I hear it.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((madriley)) My condolences to you and your family on the loss of a good friend.
Yes, I think alot of times when someone dies from drugs people only look at that fact and forget who the person was before drugs overtook their life...very, very sad indeed!

I hope and pray that the family heals quickly and learns from this so his death will not be in vain.
Have a safe trip home!

Jane
Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'm so sorry, madriley. Yes, prayers going out for this family, that they might find healing. For you, too, sister, that in his honor, you keep living the way you would wish for him to live.

Please be safe on your trip home.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

sorry
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My prayers too for them and for you. Safe travels.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
crypticpoet777

I'm so sorry for your loss madriley, all my best to you and to your friends family.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am verry sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you and also the people who are partying to "honor" him that they get help before it is to late!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Madriley))

Hugs and prayers for your friend and all who loved him. You are so right....being an addict doesn't mean that any of us aren't loved by a lot of people.

Have a safe trip home, and enjoy your time with family.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend, and all who love him. :praying
Thank you for remembering that he was a son; a husband; and a father.
That there are people who love him - warts and all.

Addiction is a horrible thing;
The addicted person is still a child of G*D, worthy of all the good in this world,
if only they could remember that fact...

Your friend could just as easily be my son.
And each time I read of another loss,
It hits me as if it were.
Each death by addiction is a tragic loss.

Shalom!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Prayers & Good Wishes

You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you a safe trip and hope you are able to have a wonderful holiday.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers go out also for your friend and all who loved him.

I also appreciate you remembering him as a person, a son or brother or spouse...who was not a bad person but a sick one and died in his disease.

It is so sad when we loose anyone to the disease of addiction.

Hugs
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know what you mean

My son died 1 month tomorrow from a overdose. And no matter what he did with his life He was also and son, father. I love him no matter what he did. and miss him like crazy. I will say a prayer for his family and also a prayer for you, his friend who cared enough to share this story. Thanks for being a friend.
Maggie