Notices

How do you cope?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you cope?

When I have anxiety attacks I think I'm gonna die. My heart pounds and so on.

For some real wierd reason I can't stop pacing and I cannot let anything rest on my heart area. If I am driving I have to hold the seatbelt off my chest , when I'm walking around I have to hold my shirt away from my chest.

It's wierd but it helps me cope. Other then that I have to wait it out. I have no means of controlling when it is happening only hopes that once I feel it coming on I can manage the intensity by trying to relax.

My wife who is an RN says to sit down and breathe but thats not an option. Does anyone else have wierd issues like this when they're freakin out?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have medication but my counselor says to breathe through it as well.

So far meds is the only thing which calms down, but it's valium........lol, not good.

So yeh I have new meds, but am allowed to use the valium while the new stuff kicks in.

They just write the scripts! I would like to eventually not be taking medication but it's the only way to keep away from alcohol....for now.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

I experience my panic attacks, not in the chest pounding sensation, but, in throat tightening sensation. I feel like I'm being choked, and cannot breath or swallow. So, when I have one, I have to pull my shirt away from my neck; any necklaces away, and I struggle to breathe.
I hear ya...
Thankfully, it doesn't happen much anymore.

Shalom!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ya I've learned to control mine a bit or atleast recognize when ones coming but I would like to get on Meds for this and to control my anxiety.

My doc has given me some stuff one was a seratonin increaser or whatever and the other one is naltrexone which is a receptor blocker.

The seratonin one makes me so sluggish and sleepy and the naltrexone makes me feel wierd.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Depending on the type of panic and where I am I try to..

- curl up under my duvet or a blanket and hold onto my cuddly toy dog for dear life.
- go and hide in the Ladies toilets and cry.
- keep walking, focusing on the outbreath, and wiggling my toes and fingers to keep myself present.