New Year not looking good

Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Year not looking good

Well!! Life sure knows how to let me know who is boss, and it sure aint me. Have had depression for 4 years, chronic back pain for nearly 30, arthritis for 10, angina for 5 ,and been thru hell with abf for 18.
He is sober and doing well, SO FAR, and for the first time isn't showing any "dry drunk" behavior, in fact is very different to any of the many past sober periods we have gone thru.

I thought it was all going well and was looking forward to Christmas and the start of a brand new year.

Had a cataract op a few weeks ago and it was a success, so other eye to be done on Jan 12, which I was very happy about.
Problem with my foot is Morton's Neuroma and will require surgery, in next 2 months, and carpel tunnel op also to be scheduled. Not so happy about all that but need to have them fixed and back to normal health and activity.

Friday I got a Notice to Quit from my landlord, who needs me to vacate my unit when my lease ends on Jan 19. Spent Friday and Saturday looking for a place I could afford - NOTHING available - so today took notice to our Housing Commission. I have been on their waiting list for special needs housing for 2 years, and they have nothing for me either.

Looks like come 19 Jan, I could be homeless at 64.
Need to be near ambulance due to the heart problem so can't live with any of my daughters as they are all living out of town. Abf has said I am more than welcome to store my gear and furniture with a daughter and stay in his unit til I can be housed. I guess I should be grateful to him for that, but it is a real scary thought after the hassles we have been thru when living together in the past.

Arrived home tired out, after driving in a real doozy of a storm, we could barely see thru the torrential rain and later heard we had had 8 inches of rain in that 30 minutes.
Message on answer phone from my best friend of 30 years that her 39 year old son had committed suicide this morning.
That news stunned me, but it put my problems into proper perspective very quickly.
I turned my hassles over to God and went to be with my friend.

My health problems can be sorted, with surgery and medication.
A home can be found somewhere, sometime.
The storm has passed as all storms do, and I didn't even get damp.

My dear friend however will never talk, laugh or share life with her son.
She is about to live every mother's nightmare, to bury her beloved child.

All in all, I have so much to be thankful for, and only minor worries that can be handled.

I am also thankful that I didn't head for the whisky bottle as I did a few weeks ago. It didn't help me then and would not have helped me now.

Sorry for the vent, but I just can't relax at the moment, as it has been a hectic day and I don't want to have to hit the sleepers and feel zonked out tomorrow. Thank God for SR, even if I got no replies at least I have got some of the stuff off my chest here.

God bless

Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((( jadmack )))

Wow, you do have a lot going on in your world right now. I can relate to most of it. Although I'm a few years younger, I have many of the same physical ailments that try to slow me down.

For me, life tends to unfold as it should. If I keep doing the next right thing and keep in touch with my Higher Power, new and interesting solutions present themselves... things I never would have thought of on my own.

My heart goes out to you and your friend. You're right, that's any parent's nightmare. Hopefully you'll be able to offer comfort and support to her during the difficult days ahead.

Make sure you have some time for yourself to de-stress in your favorite manner. Your recovery seems strong !

Hugs
Cats
Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug :ghug
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jadmack, sending you hugs and good fortune for the new year. Things often have a way of turning out, even when we don't expect them to.

Have you considered co-housing, or sharing a house? For example, a bunch of acquaintances in their sixties (in the NW U.S.) now share a home together for support, safety, and cost savings. They weren't friends before -- they came together for just this reason -- but now there are six of them sharing a wonderful home, affordable, good company, and there for each other. Maybe you could investigate setting up something similar? You could Google "co-housing Queensland"

Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Jadmack)))

I'm sorry that you are going through so much, but you are so right about things being put into perspective by your friend's son's suicide...my thoughts and prayers are with her and all who loved him.

I'm proud of you for not turning to the bottle and glad that she has you for a friend. I will keep you in my prayers, that you find a suitable place to live.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry things are so rough and I think you are amazing for putting all your worries aside to be there for your friend. She is really lucky to have you!:ghug3
Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. this is a lot. i am sorry things are so rough for you, but you sound strong and you give me a lot of inspiration and hope. keep hanging in there. i really feel for your friend. that is just so tragic. my heart also goes out to you and her.

i am reading this book by Louise Hay, called You Can Heal Your Life. I dont know if it is going to heal my life or not but i know that the positive attitude it is helping me with surely can benefit all aspects of my life and help. i belive in some of the interesting principles regarding the laws of attraction so maybe if you can keep putting out your strength and good attitude, see what good you are going to get in return!!!!! i hope good things are going to come your way and work out for you. ill be sending good thoughts your way! ofcourse this cant change everything, such as the hurt of losing a love one etc. etc. but it can help bring us into the power of the present moment and the serenity that comes from a changed attitude.