Paying it Backward--A Thanksgiving Story

Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Paying it Backward--A Thanksgiving Story

Over the past few months, my daughter and I have made a concerted effort to eat healthier and we've done fairly well. One of the ways we've been able to stick to our healthier eating plan is to occasionally allow ourselves to splurge on something not so healthy. So we allow ourselves one meal per month where we can eat anything we want.

This month we decided that we wanted to try McDonald's new southern fried chicken biscuits and today was our "splurge day," so we stopped at the drive-through window at our local McDonald's this morning and ordered up a chicken biscuit for each of us. When it was my turn to pay for the food, I handed the cashier a $10.00 bill and she immediately handed it back to me and said, "the woman in front of you paid your bill, told me to tell you ladies to have a great day, and you can thank her by doing something nice for someone else today."

Her simple act of kindness really brightened my day. So as my way of paying it forward, I chose to "pay it backward." I told the cashier I'd like to pay the bill for the person behind me in line. The line was long at the drive-through window, so I hope that everyone was able to pay it backward, too.

As soon as we had our food in tow, my daughter and I headed down the road chomping on our chicken biscuits and as we did, a woman in a red sports car passed us in the left lane and tipped her biscuit at us in thanks. She was the woman behind us in line.

I am so thankful for all the blessings I've received this year and today, I'm especially thankful for an act of kindness from a total stranger.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and if you have a chance to do so, consider paying it backward to someone waiting in line at a drive-through window the next time you make a fast food run. Sometimes fast food can be food for the soul.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

What an awesome experience, thanks for sharing!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

p.s. this thread is not in response to Ago's comments last night. I'd address him directly, but I'm still in my "I'm ignoring him mode" because he plucked my last nerve. LOL! It's a girl thing, Ago. Let me have my moment....

Drat! I just addressed you. OK, I guess I'm over it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FD

That is a great idea. Next time I am at the drive thru, I am going to try it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

awesome,fd, just awesome!

i'm venturing out tomorrow on some errands.....and you have inspired me to spread the spirit!

i remember so well this time 2 (was it two?) years ago when we all were struggling so hard to get through the holidays.

and now here we are....trying to find sweet ways to pay it backwards.

how swell is that, huh?????

i'll let you know tomorrow night what chance encounters i may have had presented to me on my outing tomorrow and what i did to find a way to brighten someone elses day....and mine, too.

thanks, fd.
jeri
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We do have so much to be thankful for, don't we?!

My Kindergartener's class had a chapel offering for the local shelter for young/at risk moms. She was so excited about getting something for the babies. Last night she came in carrying her favorite teddy....."Beary" to take for the offering. She has had it since she was born, and it is well loved. It warmed my heart to think that she would give up her beloved bear for a baby in need.

We went out shopping and got a new bear "that needed a special baby to love him", and a few other items. "Beary" is tucked in safe and sound with his very special gal.

Thanks FD for reminding me to look at the good in people.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How sweet is that that your little girl was willing to give up one of her most prized possessions to someone who needed it more? That makes your little one and her well-loved bear even more special.

My daughter had a security blanket that she carried everywhere. She called it her "peek a boo" because when she was just learning how to crawl, I'd get down on the floor with her then crawl away as quickly as I could to the other side of the bed, then I'd duck down and throw the blanket over myself to hide, I'd wait for her to catch up with me and peek under the blanket and when she did, I'd yell "peek a boo." She loved that game and from that day forward, that blanket was dubbed her "peek a boo." And she carried it everywhere. I don't think it was the blanket that was special to her, I think it was the memory of playing on the floor with her mom.

Fast forward several years, and all that remained of that formerly pink blanket was a shredded piece which she conveniently tucked into her pocket in first grade so she could keep it close by without letting her classmates know that she still needed it.

I was helping now 22-year-old daughter clean out her drawers this fall and I noticed she had it tucked away safely inside a Tootsie Roll bank. It brought back lots of memories of my sweet little girl. Who, by the way, has grown into an amazing young woman. I couldn't imagine loving anymore than that when she was small, but imagine that amount of love grown tenfold.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
p.s. this thread is not in response to Ago's comments last night. I'd address him directly, but I'm still in my "I'm ignoring him mode" because he plucked my last nerve. LOL! It's a girl thing, Ago. Let me have my moment....

Drat! I just addressed you. OK, I guess I'm over it.
:ghug3
Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ok, here goes my story about going out to run errands and trying to pay it backwards.

went to the wal-mart (well, now i am officially an old fart.....i have called wal-mart ,"the wal-mart"!!!!!!)

ok....went to wal-mart. every register was open and people stacked 6 and 7 deep on each one. a lady had her cart all checked out and couldn't get out from the maze of loaded carts. so i cleared the path for her by tapping people on the back and wishing them happy thanksgiving and asking them to let this lady pass.

everyone was so jolly, and accomodating. it was just so pleasant. she didn't have the nerve to ask people to move, so i did it for her.

she whispered to me as she passed.....thank you so much, i have to pee so bad i was about to burst out in tears.

so she has a dry seat and i am amazed at how nice people were.

doesn't sound like much, but it was a very nice moment.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

About once a month I deliver medical oxygen to a big new children's surgical hospital. Man I'm there for about an hour and there are some pretty sad looking little kids coming and going.

It always reminds how blessed DD and I are to be so strong and healthy. Anyway there is a small store in the lobby that sells sandwiches, popcorn, soft drinks and such. They also have a small section of stuffed animals. The last two times I was there I bought a stuffed animal, and told the clerk to please pick out a sick little kid and give it to them. She smiles and gives me a great big "God bless you", and I feel like a hundred bucks all day long.

I'm pretty sure I'll do that every time from now on. The way it makes me feel is priceless.

Thanks and God bless us all, :praying
Coyote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those are great stories. We all should pay it forward/backward.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

My friends and I do this all the time, all year long. I have even gottenthe teenage kids to do it. It makes everyone feel good!( I like doing it for the "older" people at resurants!
Thanks for the story