Notices

hi....i'm new...

Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face hi....i'm new...

hi, i'm new to all this. I just wanted to introduce myself, my name's whitney. i'm 22 and struggling to stay sober. every time i tell myself that I won't drink today.... i end up doing it anyway.
i've tried quitting by myself. i have a hard time asking people for help. i get depressed off and on.

and that's my story.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Whitney, I'm Anna. I'm 23 and 10 months sober. For me it was something I couldn't do on my own.

Do you want to quit? Can you ask your parents for help? Or if you don't want to get your family involved, maybe call your local AA clubhouse? Quitting is hard, but you can do it. And it's so worth it.

Welcome to SR, hon.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Whitney,

I'm glad you're here - it's a wonderful place to find support. SR has been a huge part of my recovery. Especially in the early days.

The beginning of recovery can be horribly difficult. Just try to not drink for this one day. Don't take it any further than that. Just don't drink today.

Let us know how you are later in the day! I'll be watching for your post. And hoping that you have stayed sober. You can do it!

- Emilie
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep coming back, Whitney.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Whitney
I was you once - and then for a lot of years after 22....
Quitting is possible

Hope you hang around and read - post a bit more too.
Don't be afraid to ask for help - that's why we're here
This place is great support.

Welcome!
D
Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Whitney. I think we all have the same problem as you...we all had a hard time staying sober, tried to quit on our own....and geez, every other day I would say. this is it..i am not drinking anymore..that would be the next morning after drinking...as soon as I feel better. ....i was downing the booze again....we all have been there...your not alone at this...You can do it..This forum you can get alot of support and great information from the ole timers and the newbies also..The other Ii would encourage is AA..you will get alot of support..caring people who are just like you, just sober... AA and this forum iskeeping me sober...I can't and couldnt do it on my own..not that I didnt try for years and years....keep coming back and let us know how you are doing....
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi! i'm new too! ive been sober from opiates for one day, and it is a great feeling. it's a real struggle to get help, and to accept help. you just have to reach out, because a lot more people will understand than you think! keep your head high, and i promise you can get through it! there are tons and tons of resources here to help you, and lots of nice people! you can do it! just stay strong and really want it!!!

i'll keep you in my prayers!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am glad you are reaching out for help. That is a big step. I am 29 and 7 months sober. For me, I could not do it on my own. Have you considered AA? That is what worked for me.

Keep coming back.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Whitney.. welcome.. lots of great people here to help with your support.. word to the wise.. (based on experience).. post everyday.. It helps hold you accountable..

Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yeah, ive been trying to quit and am experiencing the same problem as you. im 20, and have been trying to stop for about 3 months now. i did for two then started again because i was feeling depressed. but you just cant give in to it. id find that if i lay around when i feel depressed and dont eat it only makes things worse. what has been helping me recently is when i feel like crap is to just go work out, it takes my mind off it and excersise is suppose to reduce depression.

the longer you go without drinking the better it will get. when you feel like crap just try doing an activity that you enjoy and will make you feel good about yourself to take your mind off it. its hard cause some days like today actually i had to force myself to get out of bed or i just would of layed there for hours feeling sorry for myself and not eaten a thing.

i've been recently reading a lot on the internet about alcoholism and depression. and some of the things that are suggested is exercise and eating healthy. it really sucks when you feel like that but trust me you can do it and you will become less and less depressed over time. just try finding something that works for you and talking about it to someone that you can trust really helps me when im feeling down.

So good luck! it will get better!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Hi Whitney and welcome!
Good luck for youre first day and look forward to many more, you can do it! :-)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Whitney,

Welcome!

I`am glad you found us.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Whitney,
You are off to a good start
Old 11-21-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Whitney. It's wise of you to know you need to quit now - you're not going to continue on with it for another 25+ yrs. (like I did). It's so hard and strange in the beginning, to learn to live in a whole new way. You can make it and have a whole new life, though, and SR can help take the edge off & answer many of your questions. You're no longer alone. This place is the reason I'm not in a drunken stupor right now (TGIF & all that!). I had a difficult time owning up to being an alcoholic - I still find it hard to say those words, but with the help of my friends here I'm making it this time. You can too.