Notices

Suboxen withdrawals

Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Suboxen withdrawals

I've been on Subutex for 5 months. I jumped off at 2-3 mg. It's been 7 days now and not really getting any better. Does anyone know anything about getting off Subutex and how long it might take?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

jmac---I only know of suboxone but I'm sure it is similar. I recently started subs so I don't have first hand experience, but I want to ask what type of symptoms are you having? How much subutex were you on --2-3mg you said I think?? Tell us more about your symptoms. What I've read before is that if you are having serious withdrawals after suboxone, then sometimes you need to take it a little more slowly with the taper. Some people will start taking a small amount again, others will 'tough it out'. It really depends on how you're feeling. My guess is you're not doing too well since you're posting on here. Are you at any risk of taking any pills to make yourself feel better? Are you having any cravings or urges to use again? If not, you're doing well and just have to get through the crappy stuff. If you are, I recommend, IMO, to start taking a low dose again--maybe start at 1 1/2mg or even the 2mg again and slowly taper after that...it may take a few more weeks, but are you is a rush? There are others on here that will know a lot more, so hopefully they will come along. I'm just offering some of the advice I've read. Please, thoug, let us know how you're feeling.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sunflower, The symptoms are like a really bad flue; insomnia, no motivation, hot/cold. I had no idea this would happen! I've been reading forums all night and have learned that a slower taper is the way to go. I've been on subutex (same as Suboxen)for 5 months. I intended to get off it right away, but my Doctor talked me out of it. He actually wanted me to stay on it for LIFE! Can you believe that. I don't have a history of abuse, one bad 8 month stint with lots of Vicoden. Anyway I've been reading that the longer you're on Subutex the longer it takes to get off, and no matter how you taper you still get w/ds, to some degree. This is having a huge impact on my life right now, but I think I'm going to stay the course, I'm entering my 8th day, that seems like too big of an investment to let go of.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Most people taper down to 0.5mg from what I have read here, so it sounds like that was quite a big leap you took!

No personal experience, but lots here who have, hang about!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah man, with subs less is more. It really weird, the dirrerence between 20mg and 32 is pretty much nothing, but the difference 8 and 2 is huge, so yeah I wouldn't reccomend jumping off at 2mg., personally I would get the two mg pills, crack those in half, next week (try to) crack the halfs in half, once you get thaT small, its hard to dose the same every time, what I did in the past was measure out 10ml of water, once you get a 2 mg pill dissolved in the water, every time its rime to dose, use an eyedropper or a syringe without a needle (please don't go out and get an insulin syringe, walgreens sells needleless syringes) and squirt 1 ml under your tongue, thats a .2 mg dose. You can use different variations of the amount of water, but that way you don't take a huge jump and get sick as {Duck}
Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Naw, man, if you've made it to day 7, you should tough it out. I jumped off at 2mg myself (after 7 months), but it sounds like my original habit was WAY bigger than yours was.

Anyways, it was on day 7 off of subs for me that the clouds parted, and all of a sudden I heaved a huge sigh of relief and recognized that, yeah, finally, I didn't really feel all that bad anymore! It happened REALLY suddenly, too, it was like one minute I still felt just crap (as I had for the prior 4 days), and the next it was like ... 'you know what? I feel a LOT better all of a sudden!'.

And although I was certainly not completely 'fixed' at that moment (the jitters, the insomnia, the 'runs', all stick around for up to a month, and during that month you also tend to get fatigued real easy) but the worst part was clearly OVER, and it never came back. I'd say in the space of that day I went from feeling like 10% normal to 85% normal. Seriously, it was that dramatic.

SO, I can pretty well guarantee you, are on the verge of being DONE, and man are you gonna be happy you made it through when that happens ...

Good luck, hang tough, and keep posting ... you're almost there my friend!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You've made it this far and it can only get better get here form here so stick with it! When I had gone on Subutex my doc had actually told me that I would not have ANY w'd whatsoever once I stopped taking it. Yeah right. I also did not do the slow taper because I did not know there would be withdrawals. After that I went on Suboxone and from there to Methadone (all the while dabbling back and forth to my DOC), which only prolonged my recovery by about another 3 years. So not worth it. You do not want to be on any of this crap for life, I can not believe your doc wanted you to do that, you may want to find another doc also. I have found a lot of the time, they just want to rush you along so they really are not concerned with your personal welfare. Don't give up now! You are already on the road to recovery and pretty soon you will "see the light" ha ha... Good luck!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2-3mg is a big dose to jump off at, but since it's been 7 days now I wouldn't suggest going back. The stuff sticks to you like glue so it's one of the worst drugs to quit cold turkey, but surely after a week the pain must start to fade.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just joined this group tonight. We all have our reasons, and for most of us it is just because we need to know how to stay alive while we try to move out of this hell hole. I am not an addict, but I am a mom of a 29 y.o. who has been on SUBOXEN for 2 years. He just got out of rehab in April and detoxed off suboxen. He now is on Lexapro and a anti-anxiety med, but he is dysfunctionally fatigued and depressed. He now is taking 2 mg suboxen on most days just to feel normal. What is your take on this? He is also relapsing on cocaine when he can get his hands on it. I really need to hear your voices.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

onbendedknee.....Welcome...

You replied to an old thread from 08..so I doubt any of those members will be sharing with you.

We also are not allowed to give medical advice....it's always best to check with a doctor for such matters.

sorry to know your son is useing....

when 2 of my young adult children were active in their various addictions....
I did find a local Al anon group for myself. ,,and it helped a lot.

Here is a link for other members who are deealing with loved ones in addiction for you to find support for yourself...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

All my best to the 2 of you...
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks.