emotional deposits

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

emotional deposits

maybe youve heard this before, but i find it really helpful to remember

that we have a hypothetical "emotional" piggy bank. often living with (or in my case, without) an alcoholic/addict loved one can cause some emotional withdraws (not to be confused with "withdrawls", haha...and whether this be you or them, withdrawing who knows!)

atleast for me this is the case so i am trying to make some deposits. Here is my list from yesterday of some deposits:

sampling truffles at whole foods (this was great, really. fantastic..)
cooking myself dinner
eating lunch outside (i guess many deposits involve food huh)
running
bought myself weights
Cleaned my house
Emailed some friends
Listened and sang along to good music
Put some nice smelling linnen spray on all my linnens

feel free to share your ideas. or thoughts.

Last edited by genrs123; 11-18-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I need support to help ensure I take care of myself physically and emotionally, to compensate for the emotional neglect during my childhood.
What works for me are
- using scented lotion, bubble bath, shower gel etc. Floracologie do an amazing range that have Bach Flower Remedies in.
- Curling up under my duvet with a good book.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i have never heard of floracologie???
Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read something great once about the "emotional bank account" that exists for every relationship.

It starts out great, where you have both invested a lot in it and it's nice and full.

Then someone might start to withdraw a little (or a lot) more than their share, through addiction, abuse, disloyalty, and pretty soon the account's overdrawn. What that looks like is the OTHER partner feels shortchanged, like he/she is doing all the contributing and the withdrawing partner is doing all the taking. I know for me, I knew that was the case when I started begrudging him things like the benefit of the doubt in a situation. I didn't trust him any more, he had "taken" from me, and I was angry on a deep level.

Sometimes you can bring it back into balance again if the withdrawing partner makes amends and spends some time & tenderness building the bank account back up again. And it's definitely a seesaw; both partners can give and take at different times in the relationship. The way these authors put it, the important part is recognizing the imbalance and working together to bring it back right.

I've kept that in my head for many years now and it's served me well.

A different take on a similar topic!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying to find a path

Then someone might start to withdraw a little (or a lot) more than their share, through addiction, abuse, disloyalty, and pretty soon the account's overdrawn. What that looks like is the OTHER partner feels shortchanged, like he/she is doing all the contributing and the withdrawing partner is doing all the taking. I know for me, I knew that was the case when I started begrudging him things like the benefit of the doubt in a situation. I didn't trust him any more, he had "taken" from me, and I was angry on a deep level.

Sometimes you can bring it back into balance again if the withdrawing partner makes amends and spends some time & tenderness building the bank account back up again. And it's definitely a seesaw; both partners can give and take at different times in the relationship. The way these authors put it, the important part is recognizing the imbalance and working together to bring it back right.
In this analogy I would equate my situation to the 1930s run on banks during the great depression!

LOL
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In this analogy I would equate my situation to the 1930s run on banks during the great depression!

LOL
ROTFL!!!

Mine is that and the dust bowl at the same time!!! dry and empty!! LOL!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ago

Then I had to even "jump in my jalopy" and "go to California" with the other "Okies"

Literally

Goodlove, I LOVED LOVED LOVED that analogy, and the responses had me roffling
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hahaha! LOL. thanks for the laughter tonight.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe some of our spouses and exes are expecting some kind of government bailout or something......
Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

I like that analogy also, GL.

Let's see, what am I doing for my emotional well being:

-Working out, while listening to MY music
-Buying myself some comfy fuzzy socks, you ladies know what I'm talking about
-taking a bubble bath with my aromatherapy candles...one is happiness, the other is serenity, and they smell GOOD
-playing charades with my son, we picked all Christmas movies charades
-reading recovery stuff
-watched "You Got Mail" this weekend, in my comfy pj's and new fuzzy socks

Maybe some of our spouses and exes are expecting some kind of government bailout or something......