Notices

Tramadol

Old 11-17-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tramadol

Does anyone have any experience with slow tapering off of Tramadol. I heard that if you cut your dose 1/4 (25mg) each week you can basically avoid withdrawals. It is a very slow taper..but worth it.

However, I have also read people complaining about severe withdrawals as if it made no difference to the amount you cut back? Since Tramadol randomly attaches itself to your receptors and does anti-depressant like actions to the brain...I don't think it is as cut/dry to tapering as a normal opiat. With an oxy or so they attach to all receptors so when you cut back you still have the bulk to support the withdrawals. With random attachment to receptors as Tramadol professes to do..you may be cutting back 25mg but to your brain it is everything if that random 25 has no backup (if that makes sense)

Looking for people with experinece.

I am taking 6 pills a day - 2 pills in morning /around noon /then early evening. Have been on them roughly 2.5 to 3months. Any advice to taper or quit would be greatly appreicated. The only withdrawals I have felt thus far without tapering or quitting is when I get up in morning I feel achey and flu like. Sore all over..as this is the longest time I have gone since my early evening dose the night before..obviously as I was sleeping. Once I take the 2 in morning I slowly feel better.

Anyway, I took these for the anti-depressant side effect, not for pain. My doctor actually allowed me to continue despite I have alchohol addiction in pst (sober now though). He told me it was a "good little drug" and that once I am ready to quit the side effects/withdrawal are minimal.

That is NOT what I am reading and just my morning feeling before I take my first dose after several hours of being away from my last dose (over night) I feel terrible. Can only imagaine what it will be like now to stop.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not have any personal experience getting off of Tramadol, I have abused it in the past but was never stuck on it. However, my advice to you is to think about how much harder it will be to get off of it another 2 months from now or before you know it, a year from now.

I always put off my detox because of my fear of the withdrawals, I have finally just done it after 10 years of addiction and it was not even half as bad as I had anticipated. Please don't wait longer to get off of them, it will only make it harder for you in the long run and who knows how it may affect your body and mind if taken for longer periods of time?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please call your doctor.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Madriley, I do want to get off of them and your right...leary of the w/drawals. It is what it is. I was told with Tramadol you need to Taper. Tapering 1/4 a week will take awhile. That will probably give me month or so just to follow that program. If I go cold turkey that is my option but not advised. Tramadol can cause seizures. I actually like the drug right now which (I know) makes it harder to just "do it".

Do you have a suggestion. How did you do it with your stopping?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mercedes, first off, I agree with Latte; see your doctor.

I'm not sure how bad your w/ds will actually be; the length of time you've been on them isn't so long, but I'm not that familiar with the drug so I can't say for sure.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

be careful with Tram, and I would for SURE not cold turkey!! I hve had horrible experiences with tram including seizures. Please see your doc, it may save your life!!! I was up to 21 a day, if that tells you how quickly you can spiral out of control with that stuff. I care, and pray that you see your doc!! pm me any time if you want more info
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just want to point out that, unlike with benzo's like valium, the seizure danger from tramadol is not associated with taking too LITTLE (or no) Tramadol, it is associated with OVERDOSING on Tramadol. Ask Becky how much SHE was on when she had her seizure ...

Anyways, you do not put yourself at risk for seizures by C/T off of tramadol.

I don't know what all that stuff was about in your first post about 'backups' and whatnot, but tramadol is an opioid, and if you want minimal withdrawals, you taper down first. It's not any more complicated than that.

Although, to be honest, the amount you're taking, and the length of time ... I would just quit the stuff, myself. The w/d's won't be *that* bad, heck there's people on these boards that have gone cold-turkey off of like 100x the amount of daily dope you're talking about here, on it for 10x as long, and lived to tell.

Plus ... going through them is kind of a good thing. Teaches one a bit of a lesson ... one you won't forget quickly

Welcome to the boards in any case

Hope you stick around and share your journey with us. Lots of tram lovers (haters?) among the folks here ...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe tapering off them should work to lessen withdrawl symptoms. The problem you might run into is if you are physically capable of taking less. If you are an addict trying to get of drug you are using/abusing over a month may not work out so hot.