What do you make of this?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you make of this?

My niece has now been in the workhouse (prison light) for about 2 months.

She tells me tonight when I visited that her nitwit boyfriend has been meeting with the judge and a senator and that she thinks she'll be getting out in a week (her sentence is up in April) and that her felonies will be erased.

After the visit, I immediately left a message for her p.o. to see if any of this were true.

Then later she calls me from the workhouse and tells me not to call her p.o. and tell her anything becuase if I do it will unravel and they (her and the bf) will have to take another route.

I told her I wouldn't call her p.o., but I did not tell her I already did. I also told her that my promise is only for now, and that if I get concerned for her safety, I'll do what I need to do. I'm hoping the p.o. will call me back and let me know what's up.

I'm pretty sure this is delusion. She had this same fantasy while she was awaiting sentencing - that the boyfriend and sleasy lawyer would make it all go away. The likelihood that the 34 year old loser has a relationship with a senator and the judge seems remote. My niece says the bf has information they want which could be true because even the p.o. says he has connections with meth distribution. And - there have been some wild stories she has told that were true.

I am not completely familiar with the legal system, but wouldn't there have to be a court hearing to let her out early? Can this type of thing happen behind the scenes???

When does the drama end?

Thanks for listening. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trouble, i don't know...it sounds farfetched, but then there is never anything sane about dealing with addiction.

When does the drama end?
I found the drama only ended when I let it end. As long as I let myself be sucked in, the drama continued. Not just with addiction - in all the ways that as a codie I let myself be pulled in. Hugs
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess it could happen, but the fact that she doesn't want you to call her PO sends up a red flag for me. I know what the PO wants, has a lot of weight with a judge. I was allowed off probation early only because my PO was very supportive of me.

That being said, Greet is right. It doesn't stop for US, until we stop it. I don't know about you, but I've been a codie for a long, long time and it's not always easy to detach from the issues of others, but I just keep trying

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BBD

It may sound farfetched but I know of an inncodent that happened in our area where a man was arrested for DWI (his third time)))) and had info on a murder that had happened years ago. He spilled the beans and is out of jail. I have no clue how the law works but sometimes the info people have is more important than keeping someone in jail. I just hope things work out and your taking care of yourself and you won't have to get involved with your niece if she gets out.....Big hugs, Bonnie
Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know of a lawyer who got her DWI dropped because she "knew someone."

It can happen.

Who knows if it happening with your neice. Time will tell.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

In my experience..If someone has some serious information on something..Then it is as good as money.
I have been picked up on warrants before and lied about knowing something about a robbery and the cops let me go on the condition I got more info.
But that didnt happen so back to jail I went.
Its just as shady on the law side.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wonder how the story will change in a week's time and it will.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone - I really appreciate the various perspectives. Knowing it is possible actually helps me let go. The codie part of me wants her to stay put - but it is not my decision.

And I think I need to stop visiting her or at least slow down. It upsets me to see her put all her energy on getting out and beating the rap instead of buckling down and embracing recovery.

Yet another level of letting go... Thanks again to all!