Our Cat Pickles

Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our Cat Pickles

In july 2007 my daughter an I were sitting in the garden talkin, it was late in the evening, we were talking about my xab, we had split up once again and i was feeling very low, my daughter was feeling down in the dumps she had had a few bad months with her asthma and vocal chord dysfunction and had been missing a lot of school, was loosing friends and was limited to where she could go, and was missing out on what teenagers do. All in all we were a pair of misery guts.

A little black tuxedo kitten walked into our garden that night, we have no idea where she came from and my daughter fell in love with her, she called her Pickles. Pickles became an important part of our little family, she never left my daughters side, when she was too ill to leave the house Pickles would be by her side, when she had her exams at home Pickles would sit on the examiners knee (funny the poor man hated cats). I saw a difference in my daughter, she was happier, feeling better and she had something to love, she enrolled at the art college and was making friends for the first time it was wonderful to watch. i also felt at peace when she was sat on my lap, i knew what unconditional love was when pickles was about i know it sounds daft but our cat made us feel better.

Pickles didn't come home on tuesday night, and i knew something was not right, me and my daughter went to look for her and we found our baby Pickles lying on the side of the road, she looked like she was sleeping, no injury nothing, she lay there witrh her eyes closed lying there like she would on my sofa. I dont know what happend to her, but she didnt look like she's suffered which i am so grateful for,we buried her by the lake where i grew up surrounded by trees and rabbits (she loved hunting, and bringing her catch home for us ugh) i truely beleive she was a gift from God, who had been given to us to put smile on my daughters face, and who gave me love when i needed it most.

This morning i woke up to find a dead bird by my back door, a last gift from Pickles i guess.

Gill
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

(((Mair)))

I'm so glad you have such fond memories of such a loving cat. I'm so sorry she had to leave. I don't know what I'd do without my fur babies...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Bookwyrm, it's so quiet here without her, you spoil your babies, and give them a big kiss from me. They are so so precious. I am so glad i pampered her, she had a wonderful life.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((Mair)))

I'm so sorry about Pickles, but am glad for the time you had with her. My 3 cats are also my babies, and our babies bring much joy to our lives, and it's heartbreaking when they leave.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-13-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This has helped me more than once... I am a pet mom currently with 2 big dogs, 2 cats and 2 grandkittens who visit regularly...

Facing Life's Challenges by Amy Dean
My mother thought it would make us feel better to know animals had no soul and thus their deaths were not to be taken seriously. But it didn't help and when I think of some of the animals I have known, I wonder. The only really "soulful" eyes in the world belong to the dog or cat who sits on your lap or at your feet commiserating when you cry."
---columnist Liz Smith

Grieving for a Pet

When your pet passes away, it can be as emotionally devastating as losing your best friend. Although some unenlightened people may call them "dumb animals," pets are actually friends, confidants, advisors, teachers, comforters, and the only living creatures that consistently give unconditional love. You know how your dog never fails to wag her tail and jump around in ecstasy when you walk in the door---how many close friends greet you in such a way? Or, think about how your cat always sits on your lap and instinctively rubs his head against yours when you're upset---how many intimate partners would non-judgmentally empathize with you when you're sobbing aloud? Your pet always accepts your bad moods and irritable temper with total trust and love---how many family members would respond so forgivingly?

That's why the process of grieving applies as much to a pet as it does to a human being. Well-meaning people who tell you that getting a new pet will make you feel better believe that replacing your beloved "child" will make your loss easier to deal with. But, in reality, you need to work through your feelings and bring closure to the grieving process before you can be open to loving a new pet.

Today, give yourself time to grieve the loss of your beloved friend...... Let the spirit of your pet remain forever in your heart.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I'm so sorry for your loss of Pickles. Sending out prayers for you and your daughter.

Karen
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

:praying for the repose of Pickles in kitty heaven-- she is in the land of endless balls of yarn and comfy stuffed chairs perfect for napping or scratching to shreds... and here with you she knew love.

So sorry.
B.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

What a blessing she was to you both! I believe we come into each others lives when we need one another, as a buddhist I don't think animals are any different than us humans.

She came into your life when you and your daughter needing much healing and love, she gave it to you and helped you heal, now you are both on your way, she has gone on hers.

Your story gave my heart a warm glow today, I am sorry that you have lost her, much love to you both as you grieve for her passing.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Mair))) I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for the loss of Pickles.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am sorry about you and your daughters loss of Pickles. I can tell Pickles was special to you and loved. I can tell she was loved, and was lucky to have you in her life.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The Rainbow Bridge
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I am sorry about Pickles too.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for you and your daughter. ((((((((( hugs )))))))))
Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((((mair))))
I know your pain and how quiet it can be without your friend Pickles, the unconditional love that a pet can give is wonderful and very soothing. The void that they leave is awful. On Wednesday morning I had to take my 18 year old cat to the vet for the last time, it was heart breaking to loose him.
Prayers for you and your daughter.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((Bluepansy))) - hugs to you, too, sweetie.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

They are such a great gift. So sorry for your loss but glad you had her to bring such joy to you both.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know what I would do without my Maggie, our 6 year old Alaskan Husky. We rescued her through the Husky rescue. I will never be able to pay her back, because she has helped rescue me and others.

One day I was sitting in my living room and heard Maggie howl. My husky howls, kind of like a kid talking. Her howl was much different than I had ever heard before. Of course, I go to check and see my neighbors grandson (about 18mos or so) following his Grandmas dogs around the front yard. Grandma was nowhere to be found. Of course I panic and run over and get her grandson to lead me into the house. He had managed to get out the front door and when I went in and yelled for her she was beside herself. We don't live on a busy road at all, but 18mos old kids are short and it would have been easy for him to get hit or lost. If Maggie had not had a special place in my heart before that, she sure does now.

Thank you for sharing that special story about your cat. It is said that people with pets are healthier. I'll go with that.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss! I sat here and cried when I read your message. I have a special little cat that my life would be empty without!

I think sometimes God sends us special little angles with whiskers...it sounds to me that is what your pet was! Again I am so sorry...

Hugs,
Nan
Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow thank you so much for all your messages, Sadie my daughter looked at them and smiled and asked me to thank you all. the Rainbow Bridge was just beautiful thank you Chrysalis xx

Unfortunetly we had more bad news, pickles's best buddy Sandi was found dead this morning she had been missing for a few days after Guy Foulkes night she was found in a garden a few meters away from where pickles was found, the old man who lived there said that she was the third cat that had died in that area in a week. Sandi had no visible injuries just like pickles. Im going to have a word with the environmental health officer on monday, it may be pure coincidence i dont know but i need to check this out.

Gill