Notices

I'm Back

Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Back

I thought of using the Professional addict thread, but decided to go a new road. I had a bad week so far....

Sunday night after an NA meeting I was leaving the local donut shop (Tim Horton's) and ready for the irony...was hit by a car driven by a stoned woman....

the best part...she had an open bottle of percocet sitting beside her...

THAT'S MY DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be some irony stuff in there somewhere.

So here I am once again sitting in a hospital and have an IV hammering me with Demoral. My wife brought me the laptop so I am not going totally bananas....seems I just left the hospital world....actually I did a month ago.

So I have 6 broken bones now....

left femur
right femur
right wrist (makes typing fun)
left arm 2 places
left clavicle

I wish I lived in the US so I could sue like crazy, but what can ya do. I got pins all over the place and thankfully I had a nurse from the Neuro ward come visit me and told the pinheads on this floor that 50mg of demoral every 5 hours is like eating tic tacs....no good. So back on 150mg every 3 hours....

FYI....like everything else I do in excess...I heard a long time ago that a Femur break is one of the most painfull things you can experience....so what do I do?

Like drugs and alcohol I go for 2 instaed of one....and I can assure you it does hurt like hell....I remember a crack, and a thud then waking up in pain in Calgary...Big thank you to STARS air ambulance, wish I remembered the flight. Hopefully none of the pilots are needing this site...if so...thanks and best of luck in your recovery...YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! I had a severe femural artery in my right leg and without these guys I would have bled to death.

Please buys calendars or whatever your local air ambulance is selling....I am a believer of them now.

This pretty much sucks on so many levels, because i went through the detox and withdrawals and now here I go again and have that to look forward to again at some point.....

My HP is testing the heack out of me....at least I have you guys to visit with till I get out

Thats fine....whatever....BRING IT ON!!!!!!

READY FOR ROUND 2......

Scorecare......Chuck 1.....Detox/Withdrawal 0

Hope everyone is doing well.....

Keep up the fight....

Chuck
Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, Chuck!

I'm so sorry and thank goodness you're alive and healing in a hospital.

What a strange twist of fate! That really makes me wonder.

Obviously you're in a lot of pain and need the medication now, so just try to get better. You'll know when it's time to cut down and stop the pain medication.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Wow..Glad your ok for the most part.
As soon as I saw femur I thought the same thing about the pain.
I have heard stories.
So I would welcome any pain relief you can get for the moment.
Get rested and heal up.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

I wish I could say I was at least getting something out of this stuff, but my legs are killing me and even high doses of pain meds aren't even touching it. At least the withdrawals will are not as bad as what my legs feel like and even better news is that the physio therapy will be painfull too.....yeah!!!!!

So my quitting pain pills/meds is on hold for a bit...sorry, but I am not man enough to take on this pain without help.

Keep up the fight....

Chuck
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Glad you survived the accident.

I am in complete agreement that the femur is the most painful bone to break. It is the largest bone in the body and when it breaks one can lose 2 liters of blood from the break. That is a significant amount of blood. I shattered my right one at 6 months sober. I also had a broken collar bone on the right side, a broken wrist on the left, and ligament/muscle damage to my left thigh. I nearly lost my right arm because a tree branch caught it and nearly took it off. I nearly lost the right leg because the bone was so shattered. I am fortunate that they were able to piece it back together enough with a rod to allow it to grow and heal. I had to have two blood transfusions due to the blood loss. That is what I get for trying to learn to drive a motorcycle at the age of 35....lol

I was terrified of the pain medicine. They had me on a morphine drip and the second day after the surgery I decided that taking the morphine would mean I would get addicted and no longer be sober so I insisted they remove it. I was in excruciating pain even with the oral pain meds of oxycodone and oxycontin that were given to me. As a nurse I should have known better than that. For the body to heal the pain has to be managed. When pain is out of control it delays healing. Please do not be an idiot like me and decide you don't need to deal with the pain. When used properly/as prescribed the medication is a positive thing that will not affect your sobriety. While you are in the hospital it will be hard for you to abuse the medications as they will only give it to you as prescribed. When you do get out, have your wife dispense and hold the medicine for you, that way you will be less likely to abuse it as she will follow the prescribed dosing instructions. Also let your doctor know your concerns regarding pain meds. It really helped me as it made me more accountable with the meds. I am sure this is a lot to take in right now so I will end this by saying get well soon!:ghug2
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow, Chuck...you had a guardian angel looking out for you. Most people don't survive a major artery (like the femoral) damage.

I agree with nandm, as another nurse. Don't worry about the pain meds right now. You will only hurt your physical recovery if you're in too much pain.

I'm just glad to hear from you and glad you're alive.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Chuck I'm glad to still have you with us!

Nands, you too!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

Chuck....you must have one heck of a purpose in life...you are blessed!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much...I have a great support network with family and friends, but its nice to have you all here too. They are great for my comfort, but you guys understand the other side of the addictions world. Thanks.

I have a lot of nurses here that were with me over the summer when I had the 3 brain surgeries that come see me too...same hospital only a few floors below where I was for the surgeries.

I have some other medicines on my IV tree as well related to the blood transfussions...I don't know exactly how much I had...I'll ask them...I don't remember much...just little bits and loys of pain. I found out today that the woman that hit me was also an addict....she was so out of it when the police came that she was chopping up some pills to take before she was arrested...apparantly she was aware she was going to be arrested and decided to load up before she went to jail.

This is the first time I was a victim of the nasty side of drugs....strange and it gives me a better understanding of what the folks in al anon and victims of violence feel...I am mad as hell at the woman, but hope she wakes up and I am the reason she cleans up. I told the police I would like to see her and let her know I forgive her....maybe the guilt will be stronger than the drugs...I don't know if that will happen soon, but I will get to face her when she appears in court with a vicyim impact statement.....which will be strange too...i had 2 of them read to me from families I hurt in the past...they are worse than what any judge can do to ya, so hopefully she gets a wake up call.

I just got my pain meds and am a bit sleepy....I don't even want to say what the dosage is...may make some of you break.

Take Care and thank you for your thoughts and prayers....my wife says thanks too....keep up the fight...

luv ya all,

Chuck
Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Chuck)))

Hope you get some good sleep, and the nurses don't wake you up too many times

I think that's great you want to tell the woman who hit you that you forgive her. It does open our eyes, a lot, to be on the other side of addiction.

Thank your wife for bringing the laptop so you can keep us updated.

Lots and lots of hugs and prayers coming to you and your family!

Amy
Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Gentle ((((((((Chuck))))))))

Wow! I am amazed at all you have been through. And
I am very impressed with your outlook!

Thank you for sharing with us.
I am sure there are many addicts reading your story
and realizing they could have been that driver.

I also believe you have a strong will to survive!

About getting hooked again, you have a lot to deal with on a day-to-day basis still.
So remember, we addicts should not borrow trouble from the
future. We handle life one day at a time.
I'm sure your resolve will keep you free from addiction when the
time comes.

Thank you for sharing with us. I look forward to following your progress.
Blessings to you for a full recovery!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Chuck I am thankful you survived, the pain meds are needed and there is nothing you can do about it now.

I am not familiar with the Canadian healthcare system, but perhaps now would be an excellent time to see if they can help you medically detox from all of it.

Have you told them you were working on recovery? You are in the perfect place to let them know, they may be able to help.

I will add you to my prayers.

One more thing to add, if you have phone numbers from any one in NA why not give them a buzz, I am sure they would like to visit you.