Notices

What are your motives?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

What are your motives?

A recent thread has gotten me thinking about what my motives for continuing to go to AA meetings after finding sobriety. I realize that there are many reasons people have to continue to go to meetings on a regular basis. I have been sober nearly 8 years and still go to meetings on a regular basis. Here are my reasons to continue to go:
  • Give back what was so freely given to me
  • Provide experience, strength, and most of all hope for the newcomer and person struggling
  • Hear the reminders that it still isn't working out there for the alcoholic who goes back to drinking
  • Network with people who understand my disease
  • Continue to learn how to apply the Steps and Principles in my life
  • Continue to learn and understand more of the Big Book
  • Most of all help others

What are your reasons for continuing to attend AA after getting sober?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
where the light is

I have been thinking about this too!

I have been attending meetings for a little over 10 months. Why do I keep going?

To share what I have learned, to learn from others.
To offer and receive strength and hope.
To see my friends.

There was a day not too long ago when I dreaded going to meetings (embarassed). Today, I don't mind .

I have to say that I can enter a meeting room stressed, tired, or just plain cranky and then leave the meeting with much more peace. That in itself keeps me coming back!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I have to say that I can enter a meeting room stressed, tired, or just plain cranky and then leave the meeting with much more peace. That in itself keeps me coming back!
I can agree completely with this. It is almost like I walk out feeling centered again. Thanks for bringing that up!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I've never thought about it really.
Probably for all the reasons that have been mentioned and to meet newcomers to work with, which is also why I am on my area phoneline, and to show that AA does work since I've been sober a few days now.
I also like hearing how other sober members apply the program to their life in rough times. And if I am really honest, I am still probably too sacred to leave....

I also think there is a difference to attending meetings and being connected to AA. Over the last 2 years I haven't got to regular meetings cause of my health etc...but I have stayed connected to other members ect... and I know a few oldtimers who are like this too.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I am still probably too sacred to leave...."

A little Freudian slip Lizw? j/k - I am sure it's a typo.

I continue to go to meetings to be a part of this thing. If I am going to be of usefullness to other drunks, I will probably suggest AA, and meetings are a good place to gather the fellowship of AA. I wouldn't suggest something that I don't do myself...there no depth and weight to a message like that.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
"I am still probably too sacred to leave...."

A little Freudian slip Lizw? j/k - I am sure it's a typo.

I continue to go to meetings to be a part of this thing. If I am going to be of usefullness to other drunks, I will probably suggest AA, and meetings are a good place to gather the fellowship of AA. I wouldn't suggest something that I don't do myself...there no depth and weight to a message like that.

Scared?? Is it. I could probably be sacred too. I'm going to suggest AA in my area start another meeting and call it 'the lizw way'. Lol.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I go to meetings because I like the Fellowship.
The Fellowship and meetings provide additional chances to be of service..
I learn more by staying active,meet new people and grow more.
I continue to go to meetings because I do not want to end up like most of those who quit going to meetings.They get drunk and die very often.
For me,the Fellowship,Meetings,and the steps,traditions and concepts are a combined package.God works thru them all.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"It's easy to let up on our spiratual program of action. We are headed for trouble if we do"

"What we really have is a daily reprieve dependant on the maintanance of our spiritual condition"

AA meetings are the nerve center of my spiritual program. If not AA; then where?

All quotes are from the big book, first edition.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After I hear someone share about their problems one week, I want to come back the next week to see how they're doing.

And sometimes a new person comes who might feel a bit lost, scared, or embarrassed -- and I want to help them feel welcome.

Other times, I go because I need support.

But it's always a "safe" place for me. Being around other recovering alcoholics helps me to find balance again.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by nandm View Post

What are your reasons for continuing to attend AA after getting sober?
I no longer have "a desire to stop drinking" because I no longer have a desire to drink. Technically, I don't even qualify for the 3rd Tradition anymore.

When I experienced the 9th step promises, I got more than I bargained for, including:

"We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows."
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Excellent topic and every reply contains reasons I still go to meetings and will continue to do so.

I will add one reason I will continue to go to meetings:

To see Miracles!!!!

To see the person who has been in absolute mental hell show up smiling and laughing, to have a twinkle in thier eye and a glow about them.

Last night I saw a miracle, a man who just the week before had been seriously contemplating suicide speaking with a smile on his face as he shared how he was already reconnecting with his HP whom he had abandoned when he went back out through prayer. He shared how with one hours worth of prayer he not only found life worth living, but God giving him the power to not drink. Last week the man looked like death warmed over, he looked a bit better physically last night, but that smile on his face said it all.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pretty good posts so far. All of the reasons above, I think apply to me. I thought of a few others that motivate me, at least part of the time. I do get my social needs met, which I see nothing wrong with. On a more self-seeking note, sometimes I think I go just to get to hear the sound of my own voice LOL!

Lately I've been thinking about something that fits into this thread. Mind you this just an ideal that I'll never live up to perfectly, nor do I expect anyone else to live up to it.

In our local meetings we use "The A.A. Preamble," which I believe was originally printed in The GrapeVine. In that preamble there is a statement of purpose "Our primary purpose is to stay sober...", which I believe is in direct contradiction to to our primary spiritual aim as stated in Tradition Five, long form: that of cayying our message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

Doctor Silkworth comments on what he saw-a true fellowship, spiritual in its aim and altruistic in its purpose, "An absence of profit motive," he says. I will submit that staying sober is a profit motive. I did this work for ten years to stay sober. I did stay sober, but it became a chore, like work with no joy in it. I got real burned out.

In Chapter 11, a higher motive than staying sober is mentioned. What? There is a higher motive than staying sober in AA?

Bill and Dr. Bob realized that they must help others if they were going to stay sober, that motive became transcended by a higher motive, which is the joy that they found of simply giving of themselves for others with no thought of reward. There was no thought of prestige or recognition, no material gain. The reward is in and of itself.

So I will submit that my primary purpose is not to stay sober, but it is to show others precisely how I've recovered. It is to be a demonstration of the power of God. It is to lead another alcoholic to God. If I stick to to my true primary spiritual aim, staying sober is not an issue.

In short, I don't do this to stay sober anymore, I do it because I am sober.
Jim

Big Book references from Alcoholics Anonymous, First Edition
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WOW, Jim! Great point.
In short, I don't do this to stay sober anymore, I do it because I am sober
Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

"Our primary purpose is to stay sober...",
Jim the Preable we read in our area says "Our primary purpose is to stay soberand to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety".

BTW Jim awesome post, I just felt the need to throw the above out there ! LOL
Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Jim the Preable we read in our area says "Our primary purpose is to stay soberand to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety".

BTW Jim awesome post, I just felt the need to throw the above out there ! LOL

It is thje same preamble, Taz, I think it is pretty universal. I just left out that last part because it essentialy negates the first part. I guess I should have included it. My home group does not use that format because of the reasons I stated.

I do thank you flor the compliment Taz.
Jim