Notices

Jobs that could interfere with sobriety

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jobs that could interfere with sobriety

I have been considering a couple work options lately, but have mixed feelings because of how they would affect my sobriety. One of them I would be working out of town for weeks at a time, doing grueling 12 hour shifts for 2 weeks or more in a row then having the same amount of time off (when I could come home and have the AA support I have here). This will be a stressful environment... I will only work at a dry site with drug testing... but this is a job sector that is notorious for drug abuse. Another job will probably give me better people to be around (pretty much guaranteed there won't be the same drug element), but I will likely have to move pretty far away from my home. I could get a job at home for much less pay and get more technical training, but life here feels pretty bleak too... I've lived here my whole life, but outside of AA I don't have much family or friends keeping me here. It seems like apart from sobriety, I have no priorities or responsibilities (I am "free" you could say), so there is nothing to stop me. I won't need to make this decision for several months yet, but lately it's been on my mind.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
When I did work 12 hour shifts...I found An AA meeting
to attend just after.
When I relocated to a different state...I immediately
found an AA club.
That may not be possible everywhere but you could check.

What helped me decide between jobs....
I made a list of the pro's and cons of each
then compared. Don't forget to research the cost
of living in a new place.

You are really lucky to be able to choose Bob..
The unemployment rate in Ga. is 6.3% and rising.

Let HP guide you...after you do the fact finding...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I concur with what Carol said, perhaps even write out the pros and cons of each job.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bob,

An idea might be to have a discussion with your Higher Power. If you are spiritual fit, you can do anything. Reliance on this Power has brought you much in your New Life, why chance anything without first flying it by?

Ron
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Talk to your HP, talk to your sponsor, talk with other alcoholics (which you're doing here)...

When making any decision, I try to remember that staying sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was the decision to give up drinking. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my sobriety. My life depends on it.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

There's that AA reading that talks about early AA members staying sober through the war and everyone thought they'd get drunk.

I know a guy who works full on for 6 weeks (where there is no AA) then for 2 weeks returns to a town where there is AA. It does send him a bit mad, he's the first to admit it, but he does it for the $$$ since it is so good.

Personally I couldn't have done this and I wouldn't have a hope in hell now, because of my health but everyone finds what is right for them.
First we have to give it a 'try' to find out if it works or not...

There's the grapevine, loners international to read and tons of speakers to listen to in between times.

Take it easy
Liz
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No job can interfere with sobriety unless I don't want to stay sober. I was in the military when I got sober and was ordered out and away from my home group, sponsor, and the whole bag. I took my big book, and found meetings wherever I could. Didn't have cell phones back then either.....well, we had those "bricks" but I made it with God's help and just plain hanging in there. I had to realize that if I really didn't want to stay sober, just about any excuse to drink will work.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I am right with God I can walk anywhere. I had a friend who owned a restaurant and bar when he got sober. He didn't throw away his bread and butter. I too am in the military and have been away from family and friends, sponsor, meetings etc...
It is amazing how this thing works, I was always given chances to practice the stuff we talk about in the rooms. I even 12 stepped a guy while on deployment once.

I joined the Navy sober. Alot of people tried to wave me off ( the drinking, the drinking the drinking!!!!). That was 14 years ago. I am not gonna say it was easy. There is no place like where you got sober. When I moved away from the Baltimore area I was just another drunk. I wasn't the guy people shared about how much of a miracle I was. My last tour of duty took me all over. I got to sit in meetings at times in different places, but more importantly, my relationship with God improved ten fold. I do not place a great emphasis on the fellowship ( don't get me wrong, it is very important). The fellowship is everywhere if I embrace it. By getting away from where I got sober, I had to rely on infinite God more and finite man less
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
I would be working out of town for weeks at a time, doing grueling 12 hour shifts for 2 weeks or more in a row...
I work out of town 90% of the time, sometimes for 3 weeks at a time. I work 14 hour days minimum.

If I had not experienced the 10th step promise as described on page 85, I doubt that I would be able to survive under these conditions.

Make sure you work the steps first, before taking on a job like you mentioned above.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
doing grueling 12 hour shifts for 2 weeks or more in a row then having the same amount of time off
Just a thought: when I have too much time off I tend to think too much, that would be my personal reason for not picking that job.

I personally would prefer my work and time off to be a bit more "balanced" (given the choice).