Notices

Learning acceptance

Old 10-26-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Learning acceptance

I been learning to deal with acceptance lately the past few days. I got bad news from my Dr on Fri so I've been dealing with that. I've been praying, talking to my sponser and other friends in AA and reading pg 417 in the BB everyday.

I just recently started my 4th step. I've been kind of depressed about that lately cause it hard for me to write it out with the pain in my arms and hands. I had a lot of good suggestions from other AA's to either record it on tape or type it on the computer. So where there's a will, there is a way.

Last night i was so depressed going to my home group meeting and when i walk in they asked me to chair the meeting. I was like Ugh. I didn't want too. But i did and they said it would take my mind off myself. I'm so grateful to all my friends at my home group. They have helped me so many times these past 9 months.

I'm feeling a lot better today and like the title of my thread, i have to have acceptance with all things in life if i want to stay sober one day at a time.

Barb
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I love that reading about acceptance. I've heard that shared in meetings too and it has always made sense to me. As far as the report from your Dr., I will keep you in my prayers too.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for comfort and healing coming your way.
Mega
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scaredy, Great to hear you're feeling a little better
:ghug
Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Hi Barb.

I read something several months ago that changed the way I looked at life and helped me with acceptance. It goes real well with page 417. I hope it will help you with seeing and accepting life on life terms as it has helped me.

Grace does not cure all our cancers, transform all our kids into winners, or send us all soring into the high skies of sex and success.

Grace is rather an amazing power to look earthy reality full in the face
, see its sad and tragic edges, feel its cruel cuts, join in the primeval chorus against its outrageous unfairness, and yet feel in your deepest being that it is good and right for you to be alive on God's good earth. Grace is power to see life very clearly, admit it is sometimes all wrong, and still know that somehow, in the center of your life, “It's all right.” This is one reason we call it Amazing Grace.
Lewis Smedes
Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Scaredy - Sure am glad you are feeling better today.

Right now I find myself accepting and it sure beats fighting my
addiction to alcohol all the time!

Dean62 - That is an awesome post about Grace. It really
helped me reading it tonight. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thank you for the post. I can always use a reminder about acceptance. I am sorry you are having a struggle right now and do hope that things turn out better than you expect them to.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Practice leads us closer to perfection, never quit there, but always drawing closer to it them before.

The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress.
We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection
I have found many times that acceptance of something about me leads me to action to change me.

My acceptance of my alcoholism led me to take action.

My acceptance that I needed to take the steps led me to taking the action of taking the steps.

My acceptance of my character defects led me to taking the actions needed for me to allow God to remove them.

I have found that the majority of the time when I accept something, it leads to action resulting in change.

There are times though when simple acceptance is all that I can do that led to peace, an example being people, but even then there is a degree of action I can take in some cases, I have to accept people for who they are, but if they are poison to me I can take the action to avoid them if I can.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

With acceptance comes peace and the clarity of mind to move forward. It is a learning process. I consider acceptance to be a spiritual practice. I don’t expect to one day “get it” and be able to automatically accept all of life’s challenges. Some things just take time. Spiritual progress, not perfection. At the same time, I also believe that "this too shall pass" is an absolute truth. I can get through my challenges either kicking & screaming or with some grace. Bottom line is I will get through them.

On the subject of acceptance, don’t forget that you are doing well today. Sober, working a strong recovery program, facing your challenges, and living life on life’s terms. Accept that you are a good person doing your best and that you are stronger today. Consider how you are dealing with things now compared to 9 months ago.