Notices

12 days dry, no cravings, no withdrawal

Old 10-26-2008, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lead weight lifted

12 days dry, no cravings, no withdrawal

I am hitting two weeks on Monday. My first post was 3 days and I still lived and breathed thoughts of alcohol. For those that don't know, I'm in an oilfield camp in Canada for three weeks. It's an alcohol free camp. They make them that way for two reasons in case your curious. First off is that they want no excuses as to poor work quality in the day. Secondly, we have no security, and everyone needs to be an adult without fights, and mayhem.

Anyways, I have no thoughts of alcohol at all, ever. I don't even care if someone drinks on TV, or the movies.My first few days of this journey and all I thought about was the whole world drinking but me. You know what, that just isn't true. Millions don't believe in alcohol. Athletes don't drink, for one. My last night drinking, and I knew it was my last night. I had no interest in a farewell to a good friend on the last night. I wanted to hate booze. I wanted to curse alcohol. I never did throw up, but oh boy a few blackouts, a walk home in the rain from a bar. I messed up my shoulder from a fall, bruised my leg really bad, and scratched my nose bad. My wife said she went looking in the car around 2 am, and found me with a friend, all bloodied up, wet, and out of it. I don't remember anything, but I do remember what a nasty day I had that day. Social drinkers get hangovers, and they are childs play to what we drunks call withdrawal symptoms. I had a fever, sweats, nausea, dry heaves, hot flashes, twitches, and the shakes. Oh what a glorious day, but you know what. I never said goodbye to an old friend that day. I cursed alcohol as a new sworn enemy for what it did to me, and the last 7 years. All the times I wanted to go play golf, but I let it win and I drank on hot sunny days in the early afternoon. How about all the times my wife begged me to see a movie at the theatre, and I had a thousand excuses, but the only real reason was that it cut into drinking time. I could go on and on.

I am just so thankful that I only had one crappy day, and no withdrawal symptoms. I read about the torture, the drugs for it, and everything else. I have no cravings at all, nor any withdrawal. I know that I am done with booze. I know this because every other time, I had one drink and thought I was in control. I was going to be a moderation drinker. I finally realized, it's NOT EVEN 1. I can't say it enough to anyone who thinks they have it under control now. NOT EVEN 1!!!!

I have a confession though. I am eating strawberries, watermelon, melon, grapes, and kiwi every morning for breakfast. I have no simple carbohydrates like breads, or pasta, at all. I eat very low fat, high protein meats, with salads and no dressings. I am hitting the weights in the gym a lot, and doing a lot of cardio. Then nighttime comes and I just can't help myself, I had cheesecake yesterday(cherry, and thick cheesecake, not that wimpy fluffy stuff). Today, I had apple pie. Yah, I know, nice diet huh. Temple by day, and amusement park by night. That's it, no more treats until next weekend. I heard that alcohol was a craving for sugar. No alcohol, craving pastry, maybe it's true. That Susan, exercise freak(California, USA) wrote a book on alcohol being a sugar craving, didn't she.

So, what is the deal on me not wanting booze in the slightest, and no withdrawal. I drank a 26 oz, or 750 ml of vodka everyday, usually with 5-10 beer. How can I be feeling so good after 1 day of hell when I hear so many horror stories??? Sobriety just came so easy for me, maybe I just finally hit my low of lows. All I know is that I am so excited to kick that beast, and begin to live again.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done fella, I am on day 10 and like you I haven't had any major cravings yet, had a few wobbles were my mind tried to trick me into going for a 'coffee' at my local, I knew this would end up being a beer or ten!, but managed to ride the storm.
I am eating so well at the moment and really enjoying it, lot's of veg and fish and chicken, but like you I am starting to get a sweet tooth for the desserts, I see it as a treat for not drinking and when you work it out the calories in a cheesecake are nothing compared to the calories I used to get from drink.
I have a appointment with a programme coming up soon as I realised that will power alone won't be enough for me.

It is quite amazing what i have achieved in the last 10 days, clean apartment all my washing done and I even got myself some long needed spectacles, I can see so much clearer now, these were all the things I used to put on the back-burner and drink instead.

Good luck to you and your sobriety, maybe in a years time we can both come on here and say hey mate we did a year!

Paul.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounding great........Congratulations!