Notices

First Post - Am I In Withdrawal??

Old 10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post - Am I In Withdrawal??

Hi all,

First-timer. I'd like to confirm whether or not the symptoms I am experiencing are withdrawal symptoms. I take one 1 mg Lorazepam/Ativan each night, and have for about two years. In the last two months (and its getting worse), I feel like I have something crawling on my skin all the time, especially my scalp. (Tonight I'll make note whether it goes away after the Loraz kicks in).

Considering the short half life of this drug, is it possible that my body is wanting more, and I'm experiencing withdrawal each and every day in between doses?

I've also started to shake quite badly in the mornings (people have commented), and my muscles twitch. Brain fog is getting worse. Also, I've been drinking more and more alcohol to go with my Lorazepam.

I want to get off the stuff. I'm so shocked at what I'm experiencing - I feel like what I've heard heroin addicts describe withdrawal as. I'd like to try doing 1/2 pill a night and tapering that way, or skipping a night and gradually skipping more and more. What do you think?

Thanks so much for any help...

The Amish say..."don't drink OR drive"
Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You really need to talk to your dr about the medications you're taking and how to best deal with your physical issues.

I'm glad you want to get off the meds!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A doctor is the best one to ask these questions. These are valid concerns that you should address. Withdrawel off of alcohol can be a life threatening ordeal. It is recommended that it is not done while alone.
You should seek medical advice as soon as possible. Best wishes to you.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yea..Only a Dr can tell you what is right for you.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. First off, I think talking to your doctor is the best thing to do, no one here can diagnose what is going on. I will say though that I take ativan as well (3mg/day) and it is dangerous to drink while taking it (although I did.) Benzos like Ativan work on the same chemical pathways as alcohol and are sometimes used to ease withdrawl symptoms from alcohol.

The shaking in the morning is probably withdrawl from alcohol and has nothing to do with the ativan. Please talk to a doctor and be totally honest with him/her about your drinking. Good luck
Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

okay, thanks.