Notices

Hey all

Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey all

Hey guys. I'm a 35 year old guy from south wales (uk). I've been a heavy drinker for the last 10 years.., & a daily drinker for the last 5 years. I've been drinking 6 - 8 beers nightly for the last 5 years but recently decided enough is enough. I'm too scared to stop completely as I know the symptoms can be severe... (Ive spoken to my doctor about this although he wasnt too much help in truth).
So around 3 weeks ago I cut it down to 4 beers per night.., then 3 beers per night a week later then last week 2 beers per night. I'm so ready to stop but I'm still worried when to finally go for a night without it.., or cold turkey, or whatever because I wanna stop drinking safely on my own without going to re-hab if possible.
I'm getting panicky, have headaches, dizzyness etc already & I havent stopped completely yet...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm right on the verge of breaking this thing but am so scared at the same time & am wanting some advice from you guys in here to offer some advice & help me get started if possible......,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post :-)
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Have you considered attending AA?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanx for the welcome:-)
To be honest I have considered it but I would have to re - schedule my time with my kids (I'm divorced) & I dont want them to know for obvious reasons....
Besides I know its something I can do on my own as my willpower is very strong it's just the safety aspect of giving up completely now that I've cut down quite a bit
Old 10-20-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Welcome cheffy. I'm from the other side of the country! I doubt you will get withdrawal off 2 beers a night, as you have cut down quite slowly. However, mentally coping without alcohol or any drug is the big challenge.

I struggled to stop drinking for years. Now I go to AA, and the support I get here has been key. People here are great. Good luck and keep posting! You are not alone!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know whether this helps cheffy but as you are cutting down slowly maybe take a day off then alternate for a week and then try two days off, then three and so on.
I myself am new to this forum and i got some great advice which made me make the decision to go to A & E last night, I was in a terrible way all weekend with uncontrollable shaking hands, I was discharged at 4 this morning (UK time) after an ecg, introvenous vitamin b fluids and saline fluids, wasn't a great experience but I am glad that I listened to people here.
I have had an odd day up to now, emotions up and down.

I think you are doing the right thing and stick with it mate.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks B'fly..,
Your support is much appreciated
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cheers kinpaul.
Am gonna try my hardest at this...
I find the emotion thing pretty hard to cope with too.., affects all around me.. which is why I'm determined to stop.
Really hope it gets easier for you soon fella
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cheffy,

If possible find another doctor.

Controlled drinking is a fairly tough path to take and somewhere along the line there will be a jumping off point. An AA meeting couldn't hurt, right.

Ed
Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree Newday,
My brother is happily married with kids and he drinks two beers a night to relax, but for him it is just a nice way to chill out after a hard day at work, whereas it seems cheffy if you are worried enough to flag it up then it is a problem for you.

good luck with it.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR!

You are doing great! Your body is adjusting from alcohol to other forms of energy and nutrition. Your emotions are rightly on a rollercoaster as your brain cells and blood were affected also. Read some of the stickies on this forum about withdrawals and excerpts from "Under the Influence" all a great help on what you are experiencing.

Keep us posted on your progress.