Notices

Day 8: Battling the boredom and changing patterns

Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8: Battling the boredom and changing patterns

Made it through the first week of sobriety and celebrated with a nice cone of gelato last night. Those that have been through withdrawal know that sugar cravings come with it and it was a satisfying treat.

Boredom can be the enemy of a problem drinker. I find myself having to find different things to do to replace my trips to the bar, or sitting down and having beers. It is a new challenge but one that I am willingly embracing.

All the struggles of the past week; the mood swings, the bad dreams, the annoying eye twitches, will hopefully subside to a more tolerable level.

For all those out there struggling, be strong. We are in this together.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Well done on 8 days! I'm still twitching and I'm on Day 13 (19 days not drinking)! I'm relieved to find I haven't died of boredom either. In fact, everything looks different, all sharper and brighter. And brainfog having gone, I seem to be getting my mind back. People at work are quite astonished I can remember stuff!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep it up.
:HONYnewyear025firew

Day 12 here and i have found that I am spending a lot of time online on this forum and on other sites like ebay and fantasy football and that is helping with the boredom. It may not be exciting but at least I am not drinking.

Although if I were on the outside looking in at myself during my last relapse, this would be exciting. When I was drinking I would watch TV and walk to the store for more beer. Repeat daily. Essentially I was trapped inside a bottle; what could possibly be more boring than that.

Thanks for the post, we can do this!!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days!

I know exactly what you mean about the boredom...I'm currently on day 19 and I've been feeling rather...anti-social and bored. Seeing as going to the bars and drinking with friends really was my only social outlet, I suppose that's only natural right now.

I'm not sure if you like to work out, but I find that not only makes me feel great, but also fills some time. I've also been reading a lot, catching my favorite TV shows, (AND remembering them!), and just taking the time to ENJOY living a sober life! Sobriety is forcing me to find new hobbies...I guess that's a good thing.

When I really think about it, all the drunken outings after work and on the weekend weren't really all that great. Alcohol's a fake friend as far as I'm concerned...i do things I regret and end up feeling like crap in the morning!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

alcahol sucks!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The eye twitching is much better today. That was hugely annoying, but it seems by and large to have gone away for the time being. I am hopeful that it will subside and not return.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace