Courage to Change ~ Sept 18 ~ making progress

Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ Sept 18 ~ making progress

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 9/18

When I am troubled about what lies ahead, I look back to see where I’ve been. When I was very new to the program, I would say, “I’m better off now than I was before I came to Al-Anon. I’ll keep coming back.” When I grew frustrated because of all the changes I wanted to make in myself, I said, “At least I’m aware of the problems. Now I know what I’m dealing with.” And recently I found myself saying, “If someone told me a year ago that I would be where I am today, I wouldn’t have believed it possible.”

Time offers me evidence that the Al-Anon program works—I can see the growth in my life. The longer I live by these principles, the more evidence I have. This reinforcement provides strong support in times of doubt and helps boost my courage in times of fear.

Today’s Reminder

When I feel unable to move, or when I am filled with fear, I have a wonderful gift to help clear my way—the gift of memory. Too often my memory has given me sadness, bringing back past hurt and shame. But now I can use my memory to see the progress I have made to know the joy of gratitude. My own experience is teaching me to trust this wonderful recovery process. All I have to do is pay attention.

“God gave us memories so that we might have roses in December.”

James M. Barrie
Old 09-18-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can use my memory to see the progress I have made to know the joy of gratitude. My own experience is teaching me to trust this wonderful recovery process. All I have to do is pay attention.
When I first started going to Al Anon, I was incredibly frustrated. Once I figured out that my main problem was ME I threw myself into working the steps and trying to get better. Amazingly, I was very impatient with myself. I wanted a quick fix and I wanted it NOW!!

My angel sponsor and other recovery friends were gentle and loving, and they told me that time takes time. It took me awhile ~ a lifetime ~ to get where I was, and I certainly wasn't going to get better overnight.

Little by slow, my life changed. My outlook improved as I learned to keep the focus on myself and not on my As. I felt like I was climbing a steep hill. Once in awhile I would stumble and fall, tumbling head over heels to the bottom. BUT my recovery friends were there to help me up, brush the grass and twigs off my fanny and out of my hair... saying "wow wasn't THAT interesting?" Then they would take my hand and we'd start up the hill again.

It takes awhile, but there comes a point when you can look back and see how far you've come. One day at a time, it DOES get better.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for this post. I spent so much time trying to fix everyone and everything thing around me in an attempt to keep myself safe. It never worked.

When I can keep the focus on myself I do so much better.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Cats,
You always are so good to read! Thanks, for always being here to help. 'Food for thought' always. Understanding, pure! Linda