Notices

We need some help...helping someone else

Old 07-18-2003, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

We need some help...helping someone else

My wife and I need help...helping a friend that's more like family. He's addicted to xanax...He does want to stop and has realized that he's had a problem for awhile now. He stopped cold turkey Tues and it is now Fri. I don't think that this is safe. My wife and I want to know if he should start taking some and tapier off or if at this point it would do more harm than good. We live with him and we would give it to him on a daily basis. He would at no point in time have it in his posession. I know that it's not good to do it in the manner that he has done....He has a doctor's appointment Mon....Do I give him some until then or is he past that point now?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Here is what I found. Please call a doctor right away. There is a risk of seizures and it can be dangerous.

Xanax Withdrawal

Xanax addiction withdrawal has clearly defined symptoms. Withdrawal from Xanax is a way to positively identify addiction. Here are some symptoms of Xanax withdrawal :

heightened sensory perception
impaired concentration
altered sence of smell
clouded sensory perception
skin sensitivity
muscle cramps
muscle twitch
diarrhea
blurred vision
appetite decrease and weight loss

Xanax addiction withdrawal studies in which patients on xanax dosages of two miligrams a day for one year indicate that some individuals experience withdrawal symptom recurrence. Over 50% of patients whose drugs are discontinued experience the following symptoms :

insomnia
agitation
anxiety
tremor
irritability
headache
nausea
dizziness

Recurrence of stronger withdrawal symptoms can be experienced as well. Abrupt Xanax discontinuation can cause seizures. Three cases of grand mall seizures on Xanax have been reported. People are safely and routinely detoxed from xanax everyday,even after many years of daily use. The key to a successful recovery is professional assistance.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

I am afraid that medical advice is beyond the scope of this site.But you are right about the detox being dangerous.It isn't wise to stop taking some medications suddenly.If you have any concerns,I would strongly suggest taking him to the ER.Don't worry...those ER docs have seen it all

phoenix
Old 07-18-2003, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

Thanks for the help...He's going thru alot right now and I'm going to suggest to him that he use this board as additional help...I just happened to find this site tonight...I think it would do him some good to see that there ARE others out there having the same feelings and problems as he is.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went through He** getting of Xanax, and I never abused it, just took it as prescribed for a few months. I hope your friend gets help, and doesn't have as bad an experience as I did.

Juls