Notices

Drinking Dreams WHY

Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dreams WHY

So I had my first drinking dream and it still haunts me a week later... Sounds silly.

I felt drunk in the dream. I remember my brother calling me out on it in my dream and me convincing him I did not drink. I also was debating whether to start from day 0 again or lie and keep my sober time.

I woke up depressed, groggy headed, dying of thirst and felt like I had a mild hangover until I came too... It was so vivid and make me feel like I was going to throw up.. It was so real..

Anyone else have anything like this they would like to share?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I had one a couple weeks ago. I was house sitting at my Mom's (but it clearly wasn't any house that I was familiar with) and I was drunk. I knew I was drunk but I kept looking at my glass and I knew there was no alcohol in the house, so how could I be drunk?? I kept trying to climb this long step flight of stairs to the bathroom above and kept falling down them. Over and over I would climb and fall. There was a rope that I kept clinging to so I wouldn't hurt myself but it was beyond frustrating. I woke up feeling very strange. Drnking dreams can be creepy.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

You ask, "WHY?" I say, "Why not?" It's quite common, especially in early recovery. It's simply the subconscious (over which we have no control) being preoccupied with a pattern of behavior that is very familiar to us. The comforting thought is that just about everyone experiences them, they become fewer and fewer the more sober you become; and, even, if you should have one after many years of sobriety, it's just a dream...it's not reality.