Notices

Is There A Pill A Alcholic Can Take

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is There A Pill A Alcholic Can Take

It seems like I heard of a pill a doctor can give a acholic and if they drink they will get very sick?
Is this true?
Thanks
Kelli
Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Disulfiram
Brand name: Antabuse.

Drinking alcohol wile on this drug can cause serious discomfort and sickness.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Antabuse or Disulfiram can be a great tool if you are serious about not wanting to drink. If you take it like you are supposed to you can't just miss a dose or two and decide to drink. It will stay in your system for up to two weeks. It helped me at a point when I just couldn't seem to stay stopped no matter what. I would not recommend it by itself as an answer in any way, but it can be helpful while you are getting the support you need and making the changes in your life that will help you stay sober. Unfortunately, many Doctors have little experience with Antabuse anymore. Today exercise and a healthy lifestyle is my antabuse, but the Antabuse had its use at one time.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My P was on Campral tablets for about 3 months, and said he felt they helped keep the craving for alcohol at bay. He stayed sober for a further 7 months, had 2 weeks drinking after his father died and he went to the funeral. He was alone, miserable and overseas, so got on to 'His only Friend" there - booze. He returned home, sobered up, went back on Campral for 3 months and stayed sober for the next 12 months. As for a Magic Pill, oh how every wife, partner, child, parent and friend of an alcoholic would love to find it.
Antabuse is very dangerous in that if you drink it makes you ill. Keep on drinking and it can make you dead.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
9/15/08

I was on NAltrexone (Revia) for about a year back in 2002. It worked well to decrease craving, but didn't cut out the drinking altogether.

IMO, whenever one takes a pill for alcoholism, its meant to coincide with support groups, therapy, AA, etc.

Never tried Antabuse. Seems kinda medieval to me.