Notices

There's only one thing you have to change....

Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There's only one thing you have to change....

....everything!

That's what my sponsor told me yesterday.

I have been coming to AA about 8 months now. In the beginning stages i still wanted my life as it was, just without alcohol.

I still wanted to go out Friday and Saturday nights, i still wanted my same friends. Why couldn't i have my life as it was but just not drink?

The reality however is that if i want sobriety, evrything has to be changed. I have tried nights out clubbing or at the pub on soft drinks. It's the social side i had a hard time to give up. It soon became apparent that i needed a new social life, so i took up scuba diving, which i love. In turn a new social scene. Rather than go out a Saturday night, i now get up early on a Sunday morning to go diving with other divers.

Also there's the social side to AA. It is a slow process, but it is going in the right direction.

I still miss the nights out at the pub if i am honest. This hit me yesterday, in the UK it was a bank holiday, days usually spent in beer gardens with friends.

My sponsor told me but it's now a new way of life, there's only one thing you have to change and that's everything!

Paul
Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Congratulations Dig!
Yes, you'll go through a process, in which, you will have to make some changes. These changes are not all at once. They will take some tweaking and you'll know them when you see them. It is all for the better. As you're already finding out, with scuba diving, you will be better off. Your life will be meaningful and filled with all that your heart desires. Consider it an adventure with all the possibilities. You will begin to live, really live! Welcome! Keep posting! Prayers
Old 08-26-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

You sound like you are doing great.

If not change everything we have to at least keep an open mind and be willing to change everything.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dig,

Welcome!

I had to make a lot of changes too, in order to stay sober.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Great job...!

Changes: people, places, and things.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel you on this dig. I too get this overwhelming feeling on Fridays about 2pm. I am trying to change up my social circle. Our friends are camping this holiday weekend and want us to come up to the beach with them. Rather than spend the night, we are going up for just the day and hanging out at the beach. It is easier for me because I don't usually drinking during the day and my kids will occupy my time at the beach. So we'll show up at 11am. Stay for dinner and get the heck out of there I guess. Every time I think about missing the "Buzz" I think of hangovers, liver damage, etc. to get me through it. A social lifestyle change is absolutely needed for most of us. I'm prepared to make it even if it means we don't see the usual crew that much. I struggle more with boredom.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Dig awesome progress with recovery! Great job!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by digderidoo View Post
My sponsor told me but it's now a new way of life, there's only one thing you have to change and that's everything!
that's why it's a good idea to just do it one day at a time
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exactly Parentrecover. Looking at that I felt overwhelmed for a moment: Everything?? Yikes...but yeah, one day at a time, things will change.