Notices

Been to a Movie Theater Lately?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Smile Been to a Movie Theater Lately?

I treated myself to a movie yesterday. For the first time in years I went to a movie theater. Before the movie started I was bombarded with commercials on the big screen. I thought, I'm paying money for this! At home I have a Tivo and fast forward through all the commercials! I'm trapped here, where's my remote! The movie started 20 minutes after it's scheduled start time with a barrage of advertisements of products, TV shows, HBO specials etc! Again, I'm thinking, I'm paying for this! To top it all off, the screen looked like crap! My LCD TV at home has a much nicer picture. When I play a DVD, it's near High Definition! The total cost of this flick was $26.00 (ticket & snacks) for one person! Although the movie was great (Tropic Thunder) it will be awhile before I return to a movie theater.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Went to see that Dark Knight, Batman, thingy a coupla weeks ago, that was the first time I'd gone in, without smuggling some boozy supplies, in going on for a decade.

Didn't have to get up for a pee once, nor snore to demonstrate my derision. It was quite good.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

It's been about 5 years since I went to the movies...the last time I had to listen to phones ringing and people talking...I thought people went to the movies to watch movies? I now wait for the DVD...
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love going to the movies...but I don't go often because of the above reasons, mainly, too expensive and not enough people have respect for the movie going experience. The last movie I rented was The Assasination of Jesse James. I thought it was a great flick. This thread now has me in a movie going mood in spite of the cost, and the company!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The last thing I saw in the theater was There Will Be Blood. Loved it. Had a raging headache though it and could have lived without the "music." What a dark movie...right up my alley.

I really want to see Dark Knight. Can't believe I haven't gone yet.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'll sheepishly admit I'm a cheapskate and won't pay full price to take my kids to the movies. We'll use discount tickets and gift cards and hit a matinee, and bring our own drinks in.

Over the weekend we saw the new Mummy movie. Four of us went for less than $20, and that price included popcorn. We rent a lot of DVD's from Netflix, this single parent can't afford to go to the movies too often!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Guilty as charged! I love the movies and went to see Tropic Thunder last night omg it was crude but funny! I am taking 5 nieces and nephews (and my daughter) to see Dark Knight this afternoon .. two of them haven't seen it. I don't have many vices, but this IS one of them. At least matinees are inexpensive, and we can share a couple bags of popcorn ..
I love the whole movie experience.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I was always a movie buff, and went at least once a week. The past 10 years, arthritis hasn't allowed me to sit that long without being so stiff I could hardly get up out of the chair. Add old-age incontinence to the equation, and...well, you understand.

I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater; but, even then, I would sneak in my own snacks...maybe buy a soda there. The idea of paying $2.00 for something that cost $ .50 at CVS just goes against the grain.

We're shown DVD's on a big-screen tv daily, and someone always has the most recent on bootleg available. The last movie I saw recently was "Bucket List" which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't know how my niece and husband can afford it with four kids...I'm sure they must take advantage of discounts and matinees.