Notices

Need Help

Old 07-16-2003, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Need Help

For those of you who gave it up - HOW?!?! Pot is ruining me - it is the central point of my life - what makes me feel human and makes me relax. How do you convince yourself to give it up? Right now my husband thinks I quit - and I tried - but I can't seem to drive to work - or get home from work without out.

Advice??? HELP!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It can be very difficult to quit.For many of us,we had to become thoroughly sick of what drugs were doing to our lives.The reasons to quit had to outweigh the compulsion to continue using.Some,like myself,quit only when all other options were exhausted.I was completely broken in every sense of the word.

Even at that point,I needed help.I could not face my demons alone.I had managed to white knuckle it through withdrawal from speed,coke and other drugs including pot.But that was only the beginning.I found that I had never learned to live as other people do.I had to become teachable,willing to learn about honesty and responsibility.I had to surrender to a Power greater than myself.

I got involved in a program of recovery,and my life began to change.I began to change.Slowly but surely,my old ways were replaced by new ways of thinking and acting.This can happen for you too....if you truly want to change.

There are several good forums here,including NA and Women in Recovery.Read the power post,"How It Works" on the NA forum.Keep posting,and let us know how you're doing.You'll find a lot of support here.You may want to try NA meetings in your area.The support of others in recovery will make a real difference.

Take care,

phoenix
Old 07-16-2003, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Wow, I can totally relate to where you are coming from....I haven't posted on these boards for quite some time, but I do check in every once in awhile to see how people are coming along and to get some motivation for myself.

I quit smoking pot 3 months ago this Friday. I had been a heavy daily user for over 4 years. Pot had become my life. I have a great career, great relationship, the whole thing-which I think just further convinced me it was totally acceptable to continue using because it wasn't really affecting my life. HA! What a joke. I may have been able to function in a so-called normal fashion but I was living paycheque to paycheque for no reason other than my habit and I was exhausted everyday. Every single activity I did, I did stoned, which meant that everything was actually that much more difficult physically for me. I gained at least 30 lbs as a result of my incessant munching everyday and complete lack of ambition to even try to eat healthy or exercise.
You can read my old posts if you want my backround...

The bottomline on quitting (to me at least) is that you have to want to quit. I quit smoking cigarettes with Zyban (and pot!) in December last year (just passed my 7 month anniversary) and it was the same. I truly, deep down in my heart of hearts wanted to quit smoking. I am only 25 and was feeling like a 60 year old with asthma. I wanted to get ready to have children and I couldn't imagine still smoking and being a parent. I am not judging anyone else's choices in terms of parenting or anything for that matter. But for me I had a vision of myself as a mother and it didn't include smoking. That was, I guess, my motivation. I also had to constantly tell myself that I was gaining by quitting the pot and not losing something. I was convinced I would never be able to eat again without it or sleep properly. It was completely false. After 2 days I had no issues at all with food or sleep.

I will say that truthfully this was the most difficult thing I ever did, and it's that much harder when it's pot because the majority of the world seems to take this attitude of "pot is not addictive" and doesn't put it in a category with other narcotics. It may be true that it's not the same, but I think of it like alcohol. Some people can use recreationally and they are fine, but others cannot. It is definitely not easy to find resources specifically for marijuana withdrawal but this website is a great start and so is the marijuana anonymous site. It's a personal journey, and I'm sure everyone reacts differently. The first 6 weeks were difficult and I had anxiety attacks which forced me to see my doctor and get a prescription for a tranquilizer. I would suggest talking to your doctor anyways if you feel you have a good relationship with him/her which I do. After the first 6 weeks I was feeling fine and the anxiety was gone. You must also reward yourself as you go through the process and always remind yourself of how much you are gaining. It won't be easy but if you really want it, you can do it. That probably sounds like a cliche, but in my experience so recently, it was true. I will check back and see how you are making out.

Best wishes
Snowgirl