Notices

Which is worse detox? Benzos or SSRI's?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Which is worse detox? Benzos or SSRI's?

I have been off valium now for 10 days. I hope I am over the worse part. Now, I eventually plan to get off my SSRI. Can anyone tell me how bad was the taper from any of the SSRI's. Is it as bad as the detox from benzos which turned out for me to be one hellish nightmare? TIA for any replies to this post.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Have you talked with your physician about dropping the meds? He/she should have some advice or be able to provide some help during the detox period.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Always good to talk to the doc.
Sometimes, you have to taper to be safe, and I *believe* that's true with SSRI's too.
Please play it safe and talk to the doc. It's up to you if you want to take them or not. Then again, so is the consequence of not taking them!
I wish you the best.
Please let us know what the doc says, and how you make out.

Shalom!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Forever I don't wanna veer into giving medical advice, but def. get help from your doctor in tapering. Some SSRIs pack a nasty withdrawal punch. I ignorantly cold-turkied off Zoloft once and got violently ill, it was super unpleasant. Tapering correctly another time just had me feeling like, a brain fog, or a little dissociated, for less than a week. This was before I reached the conclusion that getting off my antidepressant once I started feeling better was not a good plan for me

Hope you're feeling good again after your detox...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
9/15/08

Benzos are life-threatening and require medical supervision to detx...especially if you've been on them consistently for more than 90 days.

SSRIs can be unpleasant as well, but thats typically if you stop cold-turkey.

But as everyone else says, see a doctor for accurate info.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been on klopin for years a very long time. I had a breakdown and went to the crsis center.They said you are on to much klopin I was on 9 mgs from my family doc.
The docs at mental health unit were furious about this so I was tapered off klopin for 3 days and sent home. The first day was okay the next turned into a living nightmare.
For two weeks I lay in my room I was sick very sick. I was jerking could not eat I bit my togune several times. I was sweating all over I felt like I was out of my body I could barley get up to care for my cats. My heart pounded all the time any noise would make me jump. My sister took me back to the center they gave me vistrial did not help. Went back again gabve me tradzone did not help. At the end I thought I am going tostart screaming and never stop. My face and arms felt like they were on fire I had awful dirrea
I did not sleep at all I praued for sleep anything. Finally I called my mom and said please help me. She came and got me I could hardley walk I was shaking to much. I lay in her backseat it seemedlike it took forever to get back to the crsis center.When I got there I had towait I was going out of my mind. My poor mom was crying because of the way I was. Finally They called my name I had to have help walking.
When I got to see a differnt doctor thid time now mind you I had not cried once but when he came in I started crying and begging him to help me I said I cannot take this.
The doc got very mad and said I should have never been taken off the klopin so fast and sent home. It was dangerous what they did I think I may have been having small seziures. They checked my bp my heart rate which was very high and I was dehyderyed.
They putme back on klopin 3 mgs a day. After 15 minutes I could walk I quit shaking ect.
I went to a state hospital and stayed 3 weeks they were very very good. They kept a eye on me to see how I was going to do because of what I went through.
I slept and slept and slept started eating again.
It was my family doc who putme onthe klopin at9 mgs at the time I was having horrible panic attacls and did not even know I had bipolar until I had a break down and went to the crsis center.I will never ever forgive that awful place for what hell I went through never.
So I am back on klopin it helps the anxiety and that is what matters. The shrink I see hardley ever gives out klopin but he said I was to addicted been on it way to long so each month I get a rx and I amdown from 9 mgs to 3 mgs and doing okay.
All I can say it was the worst time in my life it was like I was in a nightmare and could not escape. Sorry so long but I had to tell my story I was never ever informed about withdrawls or assication I justdid what my doc said. And if it helps you why take you off it. Kelli...
Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I've never had a problem with coming off benzo or ssri's but everyone's different if your doc is any good he'll do it slow and watch you closely. good luck
Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too would still be on Klonopin but it quit working completely for me after 9 years. I too went thru the same thing you hv described in a detox facility. I prayed to die. For some, the tolerance to benzos becomes so great that you have no choice except to come off. I was deathly ill on the drug and even sicker coming off the drug. It is a catch 22. I am now 30 days free of valium and still feeling pretty crappy but hanging on. The benzos are, IMO, the most beneficial drugs for anxiety and panic but they come with a huge price tag. If you are lucky, you can stay on the drug for life. If you are one of the unfortunate ones, the day will come when the drug no longer works and you will hv no choice except detox. The benzo detox is the most painful of all detoxes. It is truly a living hell.