Notices

New Recovering Addict

Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Recovering Addict

I Am A New Recovering Addict (16 Days No Substances). I'm A 40 Year Old Male Looking For Others In Similar Condition For Mutual Support.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, mrobi. congrats on your clean and sober time! what are you doing for your recovery? hugs, and keep posting - k
Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanx You Guys For The Welcome. This Sight Sounds Like It Could Be Very Helpful. I,m Not Really Sure What To Say. But I Know I Will Be Beneficial To Talk To Others In Recovery. I Know My Disease Is Just A Couple Of Pills Away. My Wife And Son Deserve A Guy Who Is Not A Junkie.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im Seeing A Counsler And Thinking About Aa(not Real Comfortable With That). I Have Been To Canterbury Int. They Were Very Helpful In Getting Through Withdrawal. The Dr. Is Super 19 Years In Recovery And Really Understands The Disease, He Always Knows Just What To Say.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

might want to try a handful of meetings, and get some literature to read. i know my daughter did both na and aa when she was in recovery. she found more aa meetings to go to, but really appreciated the na books. good luck!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Mrobi)))

Welcome to SR! This place is fantastic with some wonderful people. I'm a recovering addict, also, and SR has been a HUGE part of my recovery.

Not only do your wife and son deserve for you to be in recovery, YOU deserve it. Life isn't always easy, but it's a lot better when we're able to participate in it and aren't constantly thinking about getting high.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ya Thanx. I Have Been Pretty Sucsessfull Despite My Disease. But Often Wonder What I Could Have Really Done. Hope I Find Out. I Gotta Tell You Sometimes I Just Think I'm Going Completely Out Of My Mind. The World And Society At Large Isnt Really Fit For Sober People. I Struggle With Physical Pain Issues Due To Being A Carpenter For 22 Years And Doing Hard Physical Labor, And When It Gets Very Hard To Walk Or Move Around Without Alot Of Pain All I Can Think About Is Narcotics.
It's Almost Like Another Personality Or Voice That Wants So Bad To Take Over.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I Also Am On The Body For Life Diet And Fitness Plan (by Bill Phillaps) I Highly Recomend It For All People Specially Those In Recovery. It Seperates All The Myths And Facts And Gives You Highly Efective Info That Really Works And Transforms Your Body With Desirable Results.
You Know Recent Studies Show That People In Recovery Who Incorperate Such A Program Are 50% More Likely To Make It Without Relapse.
Its Alot Better Than Going Into Caffine And Nicotine And Sugar And Improper Eating Habits That I See So Many Aa And Others In Recovery Go To.
I Dont Want To Replace A Bad Habit With Other Bad Habits, I'm Shooting For Real Change.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Also Trying Hard To Let More Positivity Into My Life, Letting Go And Letting God.
And There Are Some Great Matchbox Twenty And Neil Young Songs That Help To Get Through Some Desperate Times
Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So What About You Guys? Whats Up With You? Tell Me How You Guys Are Doing And How You Cope With This Thing Called Life.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whats Your Story/?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do You Find It Helpful To Talk To Others In Recovery And Get Support?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

MROBI- Welcome! This site has been a very helpful supplement to my recovery. At first, I didn't think AA was for me either, but I told myself that I would give it a month to really decide. I finally found some meetings that I really like and a sponsor.

I am about 4 months sober now.

Living with pain is hard, both emotional and physical. Have you spoke with a doctor about pain management options? I think there is also a forum on here for sober pain management.

Keep posting and I wish you the best.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hi MROBI and welcome,

i definitely find it helpful to talk to others in recovery. and to talk to others not in recovery. just to talk to people. to talk about the inside things and to talk "on the surface". any kind of contact, everyday, is good.

in my addiction i become completely isolated and dont want to talk with anyone, not even the dope man. I just want my **** and go to be alone and miserable and paranoid and like an animal when i've used.

so being with others and interacting is good medicine

i was going to re-iterate the value in at least attending a half dozen meetings to decide if you wanted to try aa/na, but it sounds like you have tried it already. if that's so, did you not like it?

I'm 47. got sober when I was 32. went to AA. got 8 years clean. and now, have been living in addiction/relapse for the last 8 years. crack.

for me the alcohol drugs is a sympton of what's really bothering me:
1. my fears and pains of growing up and of realizing that i;'m in a life that i don't know why i am in it

2. the guilt and anger from living all my adult life as a so called failure, not living up to the potential that I had as a teenager, and that i still have today

3. i'm still operating from the mindset of a 16 to 25 year old. in fact I feel like i'm, say, 22 years old. part of the drugs and alcohol use is that they are a matter of adding excitement to my life. they are daring, exciting. it's exciting and rebellious to drive drunk for example.

so there's a little of my story for you

thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

MROBI - I find it very helpful and there's a saying of take you want and leave the rest. And that's for those comments and posts that get your blood boiling and/or you disagree with. Doesn't matter. There will be enough posts that you'll agree with or gain insight from. Check out the stories of recovery and look around the site.

WELCOME.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ya Thanx You Guys I Guess Were In This Together Now. And It Feels Warm An D Fuzzy To Be With People Who Know And Share My Disease.
Even If It Is Just Online , At Least We Can Talk Freely (maybe More Freely Than In Person) This Has Already Helped Alot More Than My Counsler.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Where I Live Is Pretty Rural And There Are Limited Resources For Dr.'s And Counslers.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR