What do I like to do?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do I like to do?

What a simple question, and I can't answer it? How did I get this far gone? Now I understand the purpose of the "all about me" threads. Meeting new people (esp. on dates) and they ask me a simple questions "What do you like to do" -- and I freeze, and even slightly panic. What DO I like to do?? I DO a lot of things, but what do I like to do? I don't even know. My life for so long has been all about my kids; not so much my AH. But, since he was no help whatsoever; I did most everything for my kids. All the "soccer mom" stuff. And I will admit -- I did a lot of it just as a good excuse to be away from the house. When I was home I would throw myself into cooking, cleaning, gardening; etc. Now I don't even know what I like to do. Even the things I "think" I do for me; jogging, crafts, gardening, etc., I wonder if I only did them to escape, as another excuse to get away. Any suggestions on how to get back in touch with me?

Oh, and even worse -- what I want to do is ask them what they like to do, so I can just say "me too - I like that". How codie is that??
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always go into some sort of panic, and almost feel *dumb* when I literally cannot think if anything I like to do either.

Thank you for posting this. Although I have no answers for you, just know I am in the same boat and would love to hear the advice you receive.

Good luck =)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have the same issue. I had to invent some hobbies for a job interview. I know I used to like to do things but for the life of me I can't remember what they were! I think this is why senior citizens are so happy for the most part. Have you looked at the schedule for the local senior center? It goes something like this:

9 am Bingo
10 am Water Aerobics
11 am Blood Pressure Check
12 noon Catered Lunch
1 pm Card Games
2 pm Square Dancing

etc
etc

Sounds pretty good! Finally life is all about them again!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I asked myself what I didn't want to do.
The answer: Freak Out

My life used to be crazy -
One day of panic and emergencies after another.

But, after WAY too long, I decided that what I really wanted to do was to be at peace.
Really.

I didn't want to jump from one pot of emotional turmoil to another, I wanted to cultivate calm and serenity.

Choosing activities that bring simple pleasures and time for reflection helps me remain serene. For me, peace is most easily accessible when jogging, when cooking something delicious, when immersed in nature, when swimming, or when reading something beautiful.

When do you feel at peace?
-TC
Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

okay, Nowin, you are FREAKIN ME OUT!!! You couldn't be singing my song anymore in tune than that! It's so weird how similar we all are! I really came to that place strongly a few years ago and I don't know much more about the WHAT, but I've focused on the WHO more. I started a girls group of 8 women friends that all had qualities or passions that I really admired. We started meeting once a month and we've met for 4 years now. since we started, I have done a mini triathlon (okay, I'm NOT a triathlete), done some traveling (now, we're talking....), started a book club (I like that, too), etc....

I guess I came to the conclusion that it mattered who I was with much more than what I did, but I ended up with a bit of both.

I also started back to work and that's given me more avenues for pursuing passions that have been buried or undiscovered thus far....

And yes, soccer with my kids and track and choir and drama and....and....and.... will still take much of the priority, but it's not my personal definition.

Good luck to you, friend!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know this feeling pretty well too. Usually I take it even a step further.. What do I want out of life? It's kind of hard to set a goal if you don't even know what it is you want to accomplish. Sure I want peace and happiness.. but is that what I want my big accomplishment to be? No. Do I want that along the way. YES! It's kind of hard to start at the begining when you don't even know where you want to end up.

I'm sure once I'm in that place of happiness and serenity it'll be a lot easier to see all the possiblities for myself. I can tell that right now I'm searching for the possiblities as a way to divert my own attention from myself. ( If that makes any sense) Ugh.. I have such a long way to go. LOL