Notices

Am i bi-polar?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aka Emma

Am i bi-polar?

Hello everyone. After doing some research on bi-polar attributes i have found i can strongly identify with some of them. I can go from pure elation to depression pretty quickly, however i think i can recognise the pattern before it goes either way and make a mental decision to stop either feeling from being too extreme.

Is it possible to have mild bi-polar? (probably an insult, sorry).

My sisters doctor told her that some people who could and would be bi-polar have the ability to control it so it never becomes as extreme as having to be committed. Has anyone heard of this?

Any replies i would be very grateful.

Emma x

:wtf2
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our mental health forum.

As someone who is bipolar I can truly understand your concerns and questions. For many years I was diagnosed with a depressive disorder. The bi polar I have is bi polar type II. With this type of bi polar the up swings are not as drastic as with the person with bi polar type I. The upswings are indicated by excessive, uncontrolled spending, insomnia, and several other things. I have never been committed but who am I to say that would never happen. Fortunately for me I was diagnosed and the medications do what they are supposed to for the most part. I make sure that I work closely with my doctor regarding my meds and don't make changes without first consulting her.

Not everyone who is bipolar has it to such a degree of needing to be committed. You will find a wide variety of people here in our forum; some who have been through institutions, hospitalizations, etc... and some who have been fortunate enough to not have had to go there. Some who are newly diagnosed, some who are just curious, and some who are extremely knowledgable about the disease. I hope you will stick around and you can find some support here. There is some good information in the stickies above.

Your doctor would be best at diagnosing if you are bipolar or not. There are some online tests you can take that might help indicate one way or the other but getting a professionals opinion would be best.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

welcome, Emma,
to the MH forums of SR!

Please read the sticky from the NY Times above; there's loads of information there.
Also, try Bipolar II, Mood Swings without Mania; Brain Tours; Stress and Depression; Hormones and Mood; and more...
It's a great resource on the bipolar continuum. Things are not as "black and white" with bipolar disorder as was once thought.

Shalom!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

The Bipolar Handbook: Real-Life Questions with Up-to-Date Answers [Paperback]
By: Wes Burgess ($10 from Amazon)

This may be a source for you to gain info
Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would go to a doctor and talk to him and if you are you can start getting treatment that you need. Good luck
Kelli...
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

A doc is the best source of info
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great link, Teach! I found it most helpful!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

RawDeal,

Teach has posted a great link.
Bipolar II, is basically what many think of as 'mild bipolar' (since we don't have full-blown manias).

May I ask how old you are?

My favorite book is: "A Brilliant Madness" by Patty Duke.

Jennaa