Johnny Cash movie.........

Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Johnny Cash movie.........

I haven't seen the movie - but is it true that Johnny Cash was hooked on drugs and that the family scared the dealers off with shot guns and told them never to return again? And that is how Johnny got clean? Did Johnny Cash stay clean?

I wish that I had that kind of power............ but I don't.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, Johnny Cash had problems with drugs and alcohol.

He would stay clean for periods of time and then check back into Betty Ford Clinic for a 'tune up.'

I believe the last check in was about 10 years before his death.

I never heard about them chasing the drug dealers off with shotguns, however, I wouldn't have put it past June, she was a good ol country girl, lol

Also, when The Highwaymen were doing their tours, that would be Willy, Waylon, Chris and Johnny they were all using coke and lots of it.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep - I remembered my AH LOVED that movie- he totally connected with Johnny and I didn't understand why. I thought it was OK - but JCCash had her family chase them away and she "loved him clean". Whatever. I'd bet there was more to that story. JCC was probably an extreme codie just like the rest of us. Trying to tame the wild beast. But I bet Hollywood got ahold of it and made it out to be that love conquered all - when we all know the truth. Love CAN't conquer this disease. If it could we would have our sons, daughters,husbands, wives, brothers, sisters backwouldn't we???? Love can't bring them back.... Only they can.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband is a huge fan of JC. We saw him in the 80's at Alpine Valley- actually had lunch a the table next to him. No doubt about it, Cocaine was the DOC, at that time. This was probably about 20 years into their marriage.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am thinking that had a bit of Hollywood thrown in. If we could just chase away the drug dealers and LOVE them clean, we'd do it. I imagine there was some other stuff behind the scenes ~ the real life parts ~ that didn't make it onto the big screen.

There have been some good movies about the disease of addiction and alcoholism, and recovery as well. I guess, like any good Al Anon, I will take what I like and leave the rest!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Perfectly Imperfect

I have that movie. It is supposed to be true. He was very addicted and June helped him get clean.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, enjoyed the movie for the sake of entertainment . . . but felt some anger, resentment and sadness for how "easy" they made the getting clean part look.

I'd lock my son away in a motel room and keep watch over him 24/7 if I thought it would make life better . . . but I know eventually we'd have to walk out the door and then what???

Oh well, I guess I keep on keeping on with my work at recovery from him and his addiction . . . sigh . . .
Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still have to movie-will have to watch it again. As I remember-it looked so easy for him to get of drugs. Too easy, but it was just a movie to make money.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Even if that helped, times are different and everywhere you turn theres another dealer..so it only temporarily stops the flow