She's at peace.
G*D is good.

Thank you for your loving support.
And every one else too...

Shalom!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Teach my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so glad you were able to be with her as you have!

Making the arrangements and other practical matters can be so tough, please know we have been thinking of you and holding your hand long distance.

Even though it was time and it was for the best, as you know, grief does not pass you by. I hope we can be here for you.

Oddly, I remember saying a prayer to please let her go at about that time Wed.

All love and hugs,
Tena
Old 08-17-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thank you all for your loving thoughts, prayers of support and kindness.
The memorial service is over; the mass is done.
We only await now the ashes for the final farewell. My mom is to be scattered, (as was my dad), in the ocean - one of their favorite places. (Can't scatter the ashes on the dance floor, ya know? )
We had hoped to have it done tomorrow, but, that's not possible.

My mom's services were a celebration of her life.
There were few tears; much singing, prayer and laughter.
It is just as she wanted.
I'm honored to have played a role in her last moments here on earth, and as she goes towards the Light.

A beautiful red cardnal keeps coming round the yard. It sticks around for a long time, before it flys away. But, it's been coming back for days now, just visiting.

Mom said, at my dad's memorial,
"Don't look for me in the cemetary. I won't be there.
Look for me in the flowers, in the clouds in the sky, and in the birds that fly..."

Mom is at peace. She's letting us know.
All is well...

Shalom!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps you should put out some sunflower seeds, the favorite of cardinals?
I can believe this is a message of comfort to and for you!
But my guess and prior experience is that they don't stay long, they move on.

Mentioning the dance floor gave me such a beautiful image!

I can't remember that Jewish word you always use that mean a renewal....but you have shown me an example.

All love,
Tena
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Teach, I just wanted to say that the strength and grace you have shown throughout this tough time is amazing. I hope that I will someday be able to face my struggles with half as much grace and strength as you have shown. Thanks for showing me it can be done.

I loved the story about the cardinal. I have always believed that our energy never dies as energy can neither be created nor destroyed although it can be harnessed. So my feelings are part of that energy comes through in ways like you described to comfort those of us still tied to these physical bodies in our times of loss and sorrow. I am thankful that your mother has been able to show you some comfort.

Judith
Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Tena,
The word is refuah shleyma -- renual of body and spirit.
My mom and dad *loved* to dance, and continued to do so until my dad's passing. Mom was able to dance once more at my brother's wedding. She thanked her new daughter for that pleasure in her final letter to us.
Thank you...

Judith,
I, too, believe that our loved ones show us the way in life and in the death of their physical selves. And their memory continues to show the way.

Shalom!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

This is a copy of the letter my mom dictated @ 2 weeks before she died.
It's lovely and certainly shows her loving spirit.

"Dear Family and Friends,

Just a few lines to let you know how I feel. If these are my last days here, I'd like to say, first to my family: Could there ever have been a woman more fortunate for the family that G*D has given her?

My three special sons, now way could they have been better to me. My 6 special daughters, (I include Clare and my other Carol, who have been like daughters to me). All of you have been so kind, so special to me in every way.

Thank you Sarah, my new daughter, for giving me the opportunity to dance again when you married my son, Steven.

David, Paul and Gregg; thank you for the caring and great kindnesses you have shown me. I love you.

I am also lucky to have so many beautiful and special grand-children, and now have been blessed with 2 beautiful great-grandchildren. You have given great joy to me and I am proud of you all.

My special brothers and sisters, Tom, Pat, Bill and Mary. (I know I am using the word "special" alot, but, that is how I feel about each and everyone of you.) My brothers, sisters and I grew up in a difficult situation, but they hae all come through with flying colors, and I love them so. Along with my sisters in law, Agnes and Sophia, thank you for all the help and love you have always shown me.

I also have great love and admiration for my husband, Wayne's, family from Kansas. Thank you for your love and concern.

Besides my family, I am also lucky to have had such a wonderful group of friends that have been such a blessing in my life. Bonnie Vaccione, Ester Hastings, Claire Curtis and Helen Galvin. Than you for the fun, the laughter, and the love.

My friends in Florida; than you so much for the good times Wayne and I shared with you. I treasure those times always.

To all the others who have passed through my life along the way; my friends who were involved with the many activities at St Augustin's and St Marks; those who worked with Wayne and I in the 5th Ward children's activities; and my co-workers at H&R Block.

All of you, my family and friends have helped make my life so wonderful! And I am happy and at peace.

I love you all.
Connie"

Could there have been a better teacher?
This lesson will hold with me forevermore.

Shalom!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beautiful letter...thank you for sharing. I'm thinking of you and praying that you feel peace and happiness, knowing you'll be with your mom again.