Notices

Trying to heal...

Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to heal...

They say that a new teacher's third year is usually the hardest. I'm starting to think that this is absolutely true, as I'm only 11 days in, and I wonder if I can make it through the year.

Last year, a student made a fat joke in front of the entire class to retaliate against me when I wrote him up. It took me a long time to get over it, but I finally did grow to be very close with the rest of that class.

This year, I had a freshman "moo" at me on day one. I asked him what he was doing, and he said making a cow sound. I knew this was directed at me, but since I couldn't prove it, I retorted with, "I'm so glad you know your farm animals! Maybe by Monday you'll be able to tell me your ABC's." Since then, I have had to write him up twice for being exceedingly rude or being a classroom disruption; and then we come to today.

He was mad at me because I would not allow him and his friends to continue to disrupt the class. His revenge came in the form of another fat joke, basically calling me a pig in front of the class. He has been removed from my class, and he has three days of ISS, but now I'm wondering how I face those kids again on Monday? Besides, I basically broke down at lunch, which isn't good... sounds like time to call the doctor about my meds...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that that student is being such a little sh*t. I would be relieved to have him out of my class.
What grade do you teach?
In the county I live in we have what is called no torance bully proofing. If a student bullies even once they are suspended.

Maybe a counselor at your school could come up with some kind of plan to try and teach the kids about respecting diversity.

Lots of hugs
Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I went thru a dark period in my life when I allowed what other people said about me to really pierce me to my SOUL. I learned thru Al Anon and counseling that I didn't need to allow other people to define me.I got to define MYSELF. It took a lot of good and positive self talk and a fair amount of journaling, but today I can honestly truly say that what other people think about me is none of my business, and what other people say about me is just their opinion. It no longer defines me.

I would guess this young man and others will stop when they see that their words no longer have any power to disrupt your life. Until that time, I think you should go to your principal or other authority and discuss the ramifications of bullying. Most schools have a zero policy on that.

BIG hugs
Cats