Notices

Anyone else feeling ...BLOCKED mentally?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Anyone else feeling ...BLOCKED mentally?

Hello all, you all know me... Mr. OCD about his body/brain... heh... I can still do my usual computer things but ever since I stopped drinking and ever since March... it feels like I've woken up from a coma and a lot of things seem out of whack... I think I'm also going through Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, how about anyone else out there... do you ever feel like you're uneducated... can't keep up with the world?... Or am I the only one who feels this way everyday
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Nah, I felt like that also. Only thing I know to do is see your doctor for a checkup, and/or
have patience, get outdoors at least once a day, challenge yourself, exercise, and be patient, I mean extra patient with yourself, give yourself time to heal. We put our bodies through hell, not to mention what we did to our minds. It gets better the longer we stay sober..

Hang in there Paulos and stay strong, your doing Fabulous!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I guess I'm too scared to go outdoors at times... thinking of what people will think of me, I feel so... "not right"... right now... I know I put my body through heck and my mind through heck but it's almost been 60 days sober and I don't feel ANY better...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My medications actually make me have memory problems, scatter-brained, confused more easily and I hate the way they have robbed me of my vocabulary.
But I know what the alternative is, so I compensate with humor and generosity.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Paulos, I have read that it takes considerable time for the body to fully detoxify from alcohol, so it would be normal that you would feel sort of "foggy" is the word they use.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. I know what you mean, Paulos, about feeling uneducated. I often feel "stuck." I was on drugs that were a little harder than alcohol, but there is probably a similar effect. I often think that fear is the cause of it. We sober up, and there is a great big real world out there, and we really cannot process it all at once. I think the hardest thing about sobering up, and accepting any mental diagnoses that come along with it, is the waiting. It is so frightening not to know if everything is REALLY going to be alright, even if our friends and family, or doctor or spiritual adviser, say so. But you are having some good days, aren't you? Take them as a sign of your (gradual i.e. slow) recovery and HANG ON!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just stopping by to wish you well!

Hugs,
Tena
Old 08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks all, I guess you're right... it's just... always feeling so blocked/uneducated makes me feel I won't be able to handle life... it's very saddening. In answer to a question I have like a minor amount of good days at times but the problem is I'm so ocd about the BAD I just can't stop worrying... so it's tough.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought you were on medications to treat this?

I don't understand what you mean when you say uneducated. You seem to me intelligent, articulate and insightful.

Hugs,
Live
Old 08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Yeah well a lot of people say I seem it... they keep telling me it but I don't feel it, I'm on Zoloft but I guess that's not enough... I guess you'd have to know me in real life to understand. I'm just always worried everyday when I get up that I'm not good enough at life itself to survive. ... .... have had horrific dreams lately and some bad thoughts as well... hasn't been too pleasant.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Since the Zoloft isn't doing its job, I would suggest seeing your Dr.

The most annoying thing about psychotropics is that so much of it is trial and error.

I also have a deep seated fear that I can't make it out in the world. It's the work world that scares the mud out of me.