Notices

Effexor XR and Antibotics Question

Old 07-27-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Working Step 4

Effexor XR and Antibotics Question

Hello all,

I have severe depression, have had it for 7 - 10 years. I've been on most of the anti-depressiants prescribed - none have worked.

I am currently on Effexor XR 300 mg daily. It works great until I'm prescribed an antibotic. Whenever I get sick (have had pneumonia twice since January '08) the doctor prescribes Avelox which stops my Effexor XR from working. I spiral down fast.

I've asked my GP, psychiatrist and pharmcists and they all told me that antibotics do not interact with Effexor, BUT IT DOES.

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so, how long does it take to feel ok again?

I'm in the black hole again; psychiatrist upped my dose to 300mg - still feel like I'm in the black hole. This sucks!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Linda,
Welcome to SR and the MH forum!
I have no ESH to share here. Others may come that do.

But, it may be that you are sensitive to the drug(s) or the interactions. I am very sensitive to drugs and need to take very weak doses; it took a long time to discover that, and it was horrible in the meantime.

I hope you feel better soon.
In the meantime, please try to take care of yourself. Eat well, rest, pamper yourself, and feel free to share here.

Shalom!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The next time you get sick, can you ask your doctor to prescribe something other than that particular antibiotic? If you tell your doctor that you are not comfortable taking something, they will most likely respect what you tell them.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I have never experienced this but anything is possible. If u are still depressed u may want to talk to ur dr. about using 2 antidepressant. I know that works for some people. I understand that black hole too but we have to keep digging out. I would try to get some sun and keep yourself good and healthy so u don't get anymore lung infections. Take care of ur self we our all we have..... With love, Kerry