Notices

to anyone who cares to read

Old 07-12-2003, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

to anyone who cares to read

Howdy,
My name is Kas. If you've read my previous posts (Ie, methadone, sexual abuse , etc, I know I tend to get a BIT long-winded.
But with that in mind I will try to keep this short. In my pre-Christian days I had an extensive (and valuable) library on the occult, Cabballa, Golden Dawn, Astral Argentum, etc..
ONE book I have kept around for personal growth is "Diary of a Drug Fiend" by Aleister Crowley. While it speaks of "True Will" Crowley died a penniless Heroin addict in1947, and while the book espouses the Idea that man can use Heroin/Cocaine just as Champagne, one musn't overendulge. What BULLSH-T!!While I now know through my intense study and separation between the man and his mythos, "Diary" is pretty on the money in some spots regarding "the honeymoon phase", leechlike "friends", war on drugs, intense withdrawal, and the legal wranglings. (This was 80 years ago folks and little has changed since the Harrison Act in the U.S. in 1914)

But I just wanted to get your feedback on 1)what do you suppose things in this country would be like if the powers that be did not make their own "DRUG MONSTER" when they forced addicts to go underground to get their supply, thus increasing the price and hence crime rate to support the infrastructure. In 1900 you could by heroin or cocaine as easily as cigarettes, yet addict proportions with regard to the general public was relatively low. (Remember Prohibition's great failure and the illegal and violent society it created by cutting off the supply from the demand; Capone and Kennedy made milions while G-men gunned down low rate rum-runners the streets. AND 2) Would it just have been a matter of time before hedonistic thrill seekers exploded into a "drug epidemic" such as today. The Tune -in, turn-on and drop out subculture just waiting in the wings for a new world of "Psychic sojourners"

Interesting food for thought. If you would like to learn more about drug addiction in the U.S. and U.K. before 1914, check out the "Addiction in America" series at or through your local library.

Peace,
Kas
Old 07-13-2003, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kasim,

I just picked up Alistar Crowley's book last year. It was pretty interesting.

I think the so called "War on Drugs" is a joke, and that while on the one hand there are police who are busting dealers, seizing shipments, etc, etc,., there are also politicians or others who let the drugs come in. It's not just underground organizations that get rich off drug money.

Although, back in the day when these drugs were easier to get, and there were fewer addicts, I think because of the society we have people really want to seek escape for all kinds of different reasons, and that either way, there would still be the addiction problems that we have now. I am for legalization and control though since I believe that could help eliminate the criminal element.

However, maybe my opinion is too simple-minded.

Jula
Old 07-13-2003, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I believe the only reason drugs aren't legal is they haven't figured out to tax them. They tax alcohol and hence it is legal even though I think it is as addicting and destructive as heroin, crack, etc etc. I firmly believe our only hope for any success in the "war on drugs"(gov does this war for good PR I believe, they have not been successful at all IMO) is for parents and teachers and communities to educate, set example and embrace our children. The law is not the motivating factor in a persons drug use. The motivating factors are socioeconomic, family problems, loneliness,etc etc. These must be addressed and the family unit needs more "appeal" to people. There are so many divorces, latch-key kids, mental health problems untreated, homelessness of entire families--it's time to care, it's time to dare to think outside the box and remove the stigma of all these conditions. Chronic shame is destroying so many lives and it just saddens me to no end. But there IS hope, there is plenty of things we all can do and it starts with each of is. I try to work on not acting/feeling ashamed of my condition, in turn helping others not knowing much about it all to feel relaxed around me so I can talk/explain from a first-hand view what addiction and dysfunction and abuse does to a life. We are losing alot of young people to drugs and abuse. Sorry for going on so long. I am very passionate about this subject.