Notices

Annoyed...

Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Annoyed...

My sister found out earlier this week that I'm taking Wellbutrin. I jokingly told her that the best part was that my appetite was diminishing drastically, and pointed out that my pants were starting to fit a little better. I made a point to ask her to keep this between us, though, because I didn't really want my parents to know just yet.

So, of course, as soon as I got home, my dad was calling me, saying "you sure do look like you've lost weight..." I thought maybe it was because the pants were a little baggy, but they've always been a little baggy later in the day because they stretch out, so I just laughed and said no, that those pants were just not cut for my body, and that actually the doctor told me last week that I had gained 2 pounds. He dropped it and all was well.

Well today mom calls me, and the first thing she says is "you sure do look like you've lost weight..." Oh really?!? And she continues, saying, "yeah, your sister even noticed it the other day." UGH!!!

So she definitely told them. I can tell, because my mom thinks she's super manipulative like that, but she always gives away just too much info. Not to mention that I've learned her patterns on how she tries to "slip" something into a conversation to get info back out... I've seen it a million times. It's no use telling her that I know what she's doing when this happens, though, because she gets defensive and denies it and it causes a big fight.

And the thing of it is, I don't know why I don't want them to know. Maybe it's because I know that they are codependants, and no offense but I really don't want them smothering me about this. Or maybe it's because my last depressive episode was triggered by a fight between me and my mom. But whatever the reason, now they know, and I still don't want to talk to them about it, so I'm not acknowledging it to them.

I'm sure it hurts their feelings, so now I get to feel guilty. But at the same time, why should I have to talk to them about it?

Am I out of line here???
Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

I do not think that you are out of line at all. The first time I thought about suicide I was 12. I never told my parents or anyone. Then, I had a severe panic attack (I did not know what it was at the time) at age 16. I told my mom about it after the fact & she hugged me & told me to go to bed & it would be better in the morning. Any time after that (even into my 20's) that I would be in a depressive episode, & would talk about talking to a psychiatrist or getting on meds, she would always play it down, say I had no reason to be depressed & I just needed to stop thinking that way.

So needless to say, I have not & will not tell any of my family that I am on Effexor. I do not see the point in dealing with that. I have prayed about everything from talking to a counselor to the meds & I feel totally at peace with my decision. I do not need the input from my family.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lady,
You're a grown woman, and what you choose to discuss is up to you.
Your sister betrayed your trust. That's her shame.
You still have no requirement to talk about your private matters with your parents if you choose not to. And there's no need to disect the reasons why. It's not comfortable for you, and that's good enough.

Now, relax and take care of yourself. You deserve it!

Shalom!