Back to Detox we go...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Detox we go...

AH has agreed to reenter a detox program. He actually said he is grateful that I brought it up. He knows he needs to get sober and stay that way. I called the hospital and they said when we are ready to call and they will do a 2 hour hold on a room for him. We are going to just have him admitted this time for his own safety. Last time he tried to do detox at home and ened up having seizures and we had to call 911. They came and took him to a county detox, which sucked.
My main dilema is he says he knows he needs to stop and that he wants to stop. He is willing and ready to go to detox, but he will not be doing anything like AA. He said he will find something else. My question being ....
Is there anything else for A's?
Wish us luck on actually getting there. Son has an appt on Saturday am that he can't miss, then we will drop the kids at grandma's and get him to the hospital.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good luck!
Yes, look around SR. There are many other programs than AA.
I love AA but I know there are many here who work other programs and have great sobriety!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck! I hope he does actually go in for detox (I know I'm being pessimistic but with As, I beleive it when it happens, not when they say they will) and does get into a recovery program.

How are you doing?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am good. I hope the detox goes well for him. Last time he actually fractured 3 vertebrae while having a seizure. That was not fun. I am a little scared for him. Dr told him last time that he will not survive another detox. Hopefully that was a scare tactic.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
Dr told him last time that he will not survive another detox. Hopefully that was a scare tactic.
Probably meant a medically unsupervised detox.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He can try counseling with an addiction therapist. It has really helped my A come a long way. He is in counseling every week and working an outpatient program along with taking campral a medicatin which is to help him stay sober and he has been doing really well on it.

Good luck to you. You must have some kind of counseling or support group or it may just turn in to yet another trip to the detox.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
I am good. I hope the detox goes well for him. Last time he actually fractured 3 vertebrae while having a seizure. That was not fun. I am a little scared for him. Dr told him last time that he will not survive another detox. Hopefully that was a scare tactic.
Wow , you mentioned he or him, 5 times in 2 sentences, I am not having a go at you, rather its a reminder to me of how you can get caught up in the whole chaos of it all.
Try to look out for yourself in all of this, try to get some rest, and eat well...

I know its tough for you to watch him detox, but perhaps try removing yourself from always being there for him... he will detox with or wothout you.

D.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will simply be dropping him off and seeing that his admission is processed, and then leaving him there. I figure he is a big boy, and can call when he is discharged for a ride home or wherever.

Thanks for all the advice on taking care of me. I am pretty detatched right now. I am his driver, but I do what needs to be done for me and the kids. We don't plan on him being with us for anything anymore. If he is great, if not, then no loss for us. We still will take our vacation as planned (without him). My oldest son will have his surgery Tuesday, did not plan on him to be there for that anyway. We have grandma close and she is great for taking the kids when I take some "ME" time. I also have 2 personal weekend trips planned yet this Aug and 1 weekend in Sept w/ girlfriends. Wow, those will be great getaways.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I took him to the ER on Saturday afternoon. They did admit him to the hospital for detox. He spent the night Saturday, Sunday he checked out AMA at 8:30 pm. Had to drive down there and pick him up. They did give him a Rx for atavan (8 whole pills). He is at work today, but just kinda resting in his office. Hopefully this will be alright. He said he really felt ignored at the hospital. At detox (county) at least you had some people to talk to and hang out with. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your thoughts & prayers.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Has he decided to enter into any sort of recovery program?

What are you doing for yourself regardless of what he says he will or will not do?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So far he is doing great. Staying real busy at work and home. I suppose it must be like trying to quit smoking. He is very positive. Most withdrawal symptoms have subsided now. He says he is feeling fabulous.
I have a getaway this Saturday with the girl friends, we are going to a Nature Park to just stroll around and then we will have a nice lunch.