Notices

Feeling shaky..

Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling shaky..

I'm feeling shaky :help

here it is day 6 for me...(july 4th, 2008 midnightish?) was my last drink..... I never in my life tried to actually stop drinking forever.. `
I'm feeling very agitated & shaky, on my inside. I feel like crying.. I'm not in a full fledged detox meltdown I guess. i've read some stories on this board that break my heart...

I'm so sorry that anyone has to go through these various levels of torture...sometimes when I have read these posts over the past week, i even more ashamed, like my "issue' must not be as bad as others who have suffered, violent illness, throwing up ect..

I'm, irritable & shaky had a couple nights of sleeplessness, shaky...so what, I chastise myself!! so I feel even worse...am I just a weak person? If I haven't suffered the ultimate bottom, why can't I shake this feeling, this craving to just let the ice clink in the glass...? is this my bottom? how will I know? I just want to be able to hold on...

I go all day long and I'm fine..I hardly think about having a drink, then as soon as I hit the door at 5pm...its like a vacuum..every nerve in my body gets twisted up, screwed up..and I'm on the edge of the earth bouncing off the walls........ I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Is this situational drinking?

I keep thinking..should i never come home? its not really funny....

Suzi who is having a really rough nite
Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

each person's pain is just as great as anothers. Bottoms are always hard and early sobriety hold different pain for each of us....not one more than the other. So be gentle with your self and treat yourself with compasion.

What is the same is that many of us DO get through those early days and move on to a sobriety that is truly a wonderful experience.

Don't give up before the miricle happens!

:ghug
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I go all day long and I'm fine..I hardly think about having a drink, then as soon as I hit the door at 5pm...its like a vacuum..every nerve in my body gets twisted up, screwed up..and I'm on the edge of the earth bouncing off the walls........ I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Is this situational drinking?"

Oh Gawd YES! I would wake up feeling absolutely like what you would find on the bottom of your shoe and say there is absolutely no way on God's green earth that I am going to have anything tonight. Okay 11:30 am rolls around and I'm thinking I don't feel that bad really. Wonder what's in my cupboard. 3:30 pm rolls around and I'm peering in the cupboard and wondering if there's enough in there. 4:30 pm rolls around and I'm driving to the store to get some odds and ends "Milk, toothpaste, dog food, WINE" 5:00 pm I roll into the driveway and start supper with glass in hand. I certainly can identify with you Suzie!!

The emotional part I had and sometimes still have. One night I was sure we had a bird stuck in our wall. Long story short - I'm crying. Husband works late and comes home. He reaches up and pulls out a bit of insulation. Now who's the fool?! We had a cricket in the house making all sorts of noise and I mistook that for the bird stuck in the wall. I felt like I was going to be admitted that very night. I also was crying over a dog that's been left outside. Now the dog has shelter and the woman (a retired minister) feeds and waters and loves the dog, but I felt like it should be inside sleeping on the bed like ours does. Crazy stuff!

I am somewhere around 50 something days sober and believe I am finally making a little more sense and what felt like constant everyday PMS is slowly fading away. I actually thought I might be pregnant due to my forgetfulness too.

You can do it. It can be done and yes some of us have stood where you are standing. Hugs and prayers for you Suzi!!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

is there anyone you can have come over and sit with you to keep your mind of it...or someone who you could go visit that doesn't use? Perhaps an AA meeting or hotline to call for a ride to a meeting? those things can help.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The more water you drink the quicker the toxins leave.
Gator-ade is also good.

Aspirins for aches...hard candy for shakes
A soft diet is best ... Bubble baths relax you

You never have to feel like this again.
Think of this as the end of your old life
and the re birth of the new.

Double
Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep coming back here, share, talk it out.

We all have a great deal in common.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

unglued

Thanks,

I'm having a good cry right now. The hubby is downstairs, suffering his own pain of recent rotator cuff surgery, so i'm trying quietly to do this.. I'm such a tin woman...I'm having trouble in the ole relationship with the hubby for a couple years...so not looking to add fuel.....
but i think you are right, maybe I'm distracted by the day of my job & all the kids around me, but when i'm home i'm basically alone...I mean I have my mom & my wife chores..but thank god i found this site...I was always a quiet drunk..I guess...even at my worst i could keep my physical world in tip shape..I feel like I'm coming unglued..

my sister says I isolate..i feel like I'm puking it all out here, in the safety of the net.. & I still feel guilty for not being able to hold it together..so thanks Ananda, I cried when i read your suggestion to be gentle with myself..hell I haven't been gentle with myself since I was 7 and I'm 40!

I think i'll go brush my teeth & take a walk... thats just weird...lol

thanks for the support i hope someday to be useful to help someone else..
Old 07-10-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

I am with you Susie. . . Today marks my first week sober in a very long time. Those cravings can really come on strong. The best advice I got on here was doing other activities and being with other people. I've been eating jolly ranchers like they are free, listening to music doing chores, and talking, talking and more talking. We are in a tough period right now. I believe from the posts on this site and from the encouragement of friends that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going on faith right now and I really believe it will be better. We will both make it to the other side.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The more water you drink the quicker the toxins leave.
Gator-ade is also good.

Aspirins for aches...hard candy for shakes
A soft diet is best ... Bubble baths relax you

You never have to feel like this again.
Think of this as the end of your old life
and the re birth of the new.

Double
That was so well said. The whole thing really is like being reborn.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

re: sugar

FreeinMilwaukee,

I didn't know that sugar was such a big component of this...I was mess earlier..but after a warm bath, some Gatoraid (Thanks CarolD!!!) and some candy advice from Ananda!, 3 sugardaddies i found in my closet from last Halloween! I'm feeling much better.....thanks I hope i can encourage you all to stay free

Now if I can only go to sleep...:ghug
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see you have a new Avatar to denote your new beginning?
It's sooo suitable as we emerge from the cocoon of addiction
into the beautiful sunlight of sobriety.

Sleep may be difficult
Here is a link for sleeping tips

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

You too can win over alcohol!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tis is night three after a seven day bender(hard). I woke up this morning and my hips and lower back were very sore. I am not sure this has to do with my detox. This is the first time I have sensed this. (This is my seventh time detoxi---third time by myself. I have been taking .05 mgs of Klonopin 3x a day. Other symptoms are limited to the usual anxiety shaky nausea, diarrarrea confusion insomnia. I know this has got to stop. Any advise on the muscle pain?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markmesober View Post
Tis is night three after a seven day bender(hard). I woke up this morning and my hips and lower back were very sore. I am not sure this has to do with my detox. This is the first time I have sensed this. (This is my seventh time detoxi---third time by myself. I have been taking .05 mgs of Klonopin 3x a day. Other symptoms are limited to the usual anxiety shaky nausea, diarrarrea confusion insomnia. I know this has got to stop. Any advise on the muscle pain?
Warm baths.

As far as medical advice, call your doctor...they know so much.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Suzis: I identify with that 5:00 need, and am finding a class of orange juice as soon as I walk in the door in the evening to be helpful. Also, I acknowledging that I am alone when I am home--and I need to be aware that drinking was a way to buffer the unacknowledged pain or anxiety associated with this. By being aware of this aloneness, I am trying to then be kind to myself, not feel sorry for myself or dwell on it. Somehow just the awareness makes me feel better.

Mark: have you tried a hot bath with epsom salt? (you can buy it cheap without all the added perfumes at a place like WalMart)
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've found hot showers and/or baths really do work.

I discovered the strangest thing a few days ago. I was starting to get that detox anxiety that comes the first few days after stopping after a bad bender. Anyway, I was making myself some organic tomato soup for dinner.

And... as soon as I took one sip of the soup, my anxiety completely vanished!

How weird is that? I wonder if it had to do with something that is in it, or if it was because it was a hot, comforting liquid... anyone else ever hear of this?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

markmesober....

I also think seeing a doctor is wise.
Then you can set your mind at ease
or find out for certain if you need medical assistance.

Congratulations on your fresh start
Welcome to SR!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sobergirl: a hot bowl of soup--what a great idea. I am going to give this one a try today. Thanks much.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Suzie - Hope you are well today. Post when you have time. Sorry about my earlier post. I noticed it was too much on the "me" side without the information you needed. I'm glad others provided you with ideas that were great. I am pushing for you and hope you have a great day. Hugs to you when you need them today.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 4---Thanks for the advice gang.I tried to see Dr. this morning. Called answering service which assured me he would be in at 8am. I got up,bathed ate something and arrived in an empty parking lot.(even though I was in a good sleep prior) I could have killed the service. I have a call in, and am currently awaiting call back. Pain ranges from bad to real bad. Last night I had to take "pain killer" to subdue. it was the last thing I wanted to do, but I was up until 4am. If no call back I might have to go to Emrg

Pain seems centered in hip,lowerback/upper buttock. Net seems to be pointing to Sciatica. I hate having to tell them where I am coming from. I know I must. Any other ideas???

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

re: feeling a little less shaky..but hey its early!

Oh Mark, I hope you are doing better...Please call your doctor or pm CarolD I've been reading around here, that she pretty much knows what to do in the early stages and has been a very good help to me. But everyone here has good advice. (thanks Ananda)

I myself am on only day 7...first time in my life..I like to say I was a low volume, high frequency drinker...which basically made me numb...every evening after the six o'clock news..

so I am suffering more head issues, than physical ones. So far I've only had insomnia, headaches, fuzzy brain, anxiety.....I'm so glad I found this site & all the good advice on it! so stick around and keep posting..it is really a big help..

But I'm still feeling shaky today...a little less, but I got the same twisted up feelings when I walked in the door tonight....and I spent the entire day at a local state park with my "charges" (I'm a nanny, can you believe they actually pay me to hike in the woods!! LOL I was having a great day, not thinking at all about drinking..not at all!!! (so it is very confusing to me!) but like clock work, as soon as I hit the driveway..it started....& I just realized today..that part of my problem (and I'm not laying all the blame on him, even if he was the official VT maker for many years..(yet he doesn't really drink himself..hmmmmmmm)

But what I realized tonight is that I have been drowning my issues in my marriage...for the past 3 years! I actually am sitting here, sipping some chai tea & a sugar daddy..and I just told my husband, why I have come up to my room to be alone every night this week. I don't even think he understood all week, that I was trying to get on the wagon since July 4th!

(I know I do the passive agressive thing very well, but tonight he was angry that I was jovial with him..oye! so I explained that while I wasn't cashing in the wedding check, I needed some space, while I figured this all out.. and that I was praying that Charlotte (our first and new therapist) could help us out with these issues...I have read People/Places/Things..but I guess we will have to wait and see..

So I am finding the distinct connection between drinking and our emotions..so I am wondering what anyone elses take on the connection is?

Oh and do I get to celebrate for not hitting the sauce for 7 straight days! It feels like an eternity!

but just for tonight I won't drink...