Night Terrors

Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night Terrors

I haven't posted for awhile but read regularly. Just read the thread on Sleep and thought I'd ask another question on it. How about night terrors? I have always had them. I grew up with an alcoholic father and have been married forever to an alcoholic. When things are really stressful I have them more often. Is this a common trait or just because I don't deal with stress well? Do others of you have them? What can be done?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear that you're having night terrors. Are these like nightmare-type dreams? Or, are you awake and having these terrors? I definitely find that my sleep is more disturbed when my days are stressful. Are you making the usual efforts before sleeping like warm bath, meditation, reading something calming?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm an alcoholic in recovery but thought I'd share a little about my ex's sleep patterns.

Most of the time her sleep seemed perfectly normal, I was the one who snored and sweated like crazy. But maybe twice a month she'd experience terrors and sleepwalking. She'd get out of bed and stand at the window, sometimes she'd start walking and usually try to head out the front door. It'd take a few minutes to wake her, I'd try gently at first but then I'd have to hold her arms. She'd start thrashing and screaming "Daddy, Daddy, no, no!" then she'd collapse into my arms and sob until she was fully awake.

Being an alcoholic it doesn't surprise me that my worst dreams, nightmares, or terrors have mostly revolved around drinking, and since I've been in recovery they're always about relapses. My ex's father committed suicide, so I can understand where hers came from. I've found that the longer I'm in recovery the less intense they are, so maybe someday they'll go away entirely.

This site has some great information Night Terrors Resource Center
Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Astrro! Thanks for the link! I don't have night terrors but it hooked me up with other sleep disorders that were helpful.